hypothetical fuel economy / power build ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hypothetical fuel economy / power build ideas

OK, totally hypothetical build thoughts here. What would it take to make a panther thats both good on fuel (20+ mpg highway) and capable of 300hp or better at the rear wheels? Only restrictions are as follows:

EFI, mass air OK but prefer to stay Ford EFI
    Windsor based engine
    automatic trans
    fits under a stock hood
    must retain AC
    Cats present, able to pass idle sniffer test. Visual inspection not important
    car remains visually unmodified to any significant extent
    not so loud that the neighbors ears will bleed when I start the car
    exhaust ends at the rear bumper

budget isn't a huge concern, but lets keep it in the realm of lesser mortals

I'm thinking maybe start with something like this
    351 roller block
    afr 185 or 205 heads
    custom cam or maybe something like an XE264
    edelbrock 351 efi intake
    wide ratio aod or 4R70w with controller
    higher stall converter, whatever is appropriate for the cam, 2000-2500ish stall?
    3.08 or 3.27 rear
    whatever tuning to the EFI is appropriate, assuming larger injectors and fuel/timing curve tweaks will be needed
    shorty headers, 2 1/2 exhaust of some form TBD

I know that motor ought to run, but will it be a fuel hog? Would there be any economy benefits with a small super or turbocharger? I know those would give me more power but will there be any gains at 75 on the highway for long periods?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Comment

I can tell you this. I'm not sure how much power my car has but it will blow the doors off an aero or whale. Even with the 4 barrel if it is 75 degrees or less outside I can get better than 20 on the highway. Maybe this helps maybe it doesn't. But is it possible, yes. It really boils down to gearing. With the gear you want to run, no. On stock tires you will need at least a 3.73, 4.10 would be better. If you dog these bigger cams like a stock one your mpg goes to shit. Even with my 4.10 gears if I'm in od at less than 2000 rpm my engine bogs.
      1989 Grand Marquis LS
      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

It can be done with the combo you said above. If you have the ability to tune it you can lean out the cruise a/f ratio to like 16:1 then 20 mpg on the highway should be now problem. Just build a nice free flowing 351w and start tuning, also go with a little more gear like southern pride said. I don't think it would be a problem.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

The idea with the gearing is the wide ratio. A WR trans with a 3.27 has an effective first gear lower than a stock AOD with a 3.73. The tall gearing is purely for highway reasons. My thoughts were lower rpm = less air and fuel moving through the engine.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

F the auto go 5-speed.
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
            sigpic

Comment

The tall gear is what will kill the mpg. Rpm doesn't matter so much as being in the powerband does.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

should go without saying, but lighter/more aerodynamic wheels (alloy or aluminum), the police/taxi front spoiler, and other weight and aero mods might be a good idea.

Maybe try something like the cover/deflector that some whales use going from the trunk pan to rear bumper, which could be made easily out of plexiglas.

I've heard claims of looser cam, rod, and main bearing tolerances resulting in significant gains in mileage. I have no idea what the specs you'd ask for would be though.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

well, the gearing is certainly flexible. Just keep in mind the OD ratio on a WR trans is 0.70:1 where a standard AOD is 0.67:1, so on the highway given the same rear gears, a WR trans will tach a little higher. The WR trans thought is also flexible. basically anything is on the table other than my initial restrictions. I'm not hard set on anything, other than my initial must-have list. This is also a 2-5 year down the pike project so its not like I have a deadline in mind here.

Comment

afr 185 or tfs 170
                    edelbrock rpm I
                    probably custom cam
                    tight 3000stall l/u converter

with steeper gear it wont have to work as hard, if rpm doesnt get out of hand, mpg will improve
                    347 will make more power than 351 and use less fuel, lighter rotating assembly
                    no need to limit stall, city mpg is always gonna be not so good no matter what, better off to keep motor in its powerband at WOT, part htrottle will only be a few hundred rpm difference, motor doesnt have to work as hard, doesnt need as much throttle input, converter locks up on the freeway

heres an experiment for you, hook up a noid light or 194 bulb to an injector, put it under the wiper blade and go drive around, monitor the light and note throttle position, when it gets bright, shes drinking, when it dim, she is sippin. so less throttle input(from less load) will save mpg

also, think about it this way, injector pulse isnt a faster blink, like on off on off on off etc.; it is pulse width modulated, when the light gets brighter, its on more. for example at cruise- just as an example- 10%on 90% off 10%on 90% off; 1/2 throttle- 50%on 50%off 50%on 50%off, 3/4 throttle- 75%on 25%off 75%on 25%off; this is general theory, your long and short term fuel trims fine tune these numbers

Comment

I think you need to be a member/10posts to read this, I dunno-
                      http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,5081.0.html

360rwhp 27mpg @ somewhere around 3400lbs

ported edelbrock heads
                      tfs R
                      90mm tb
                      1 3/4 longtubes
                      custom cam

Comment

Gadget the setup you posted above is almost virtually identical to the build I am planning, except I'm going with TFS 190 heads and the TFS Intake (I haven't tried it yet, but I'm 99.9% sure it will fit). I'm also running steeper gears.

Anyway I would think that it could be done like that, but again you are pushing the hood space limits. The 306/347 setup that jay posted I'm sure would be able to do it no prob, but I'm guessing it would cost a little more, although budget really isn't that much of an issue.

I'm assuming with the eddy intake you are referring to the TB elbow setup?
                        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
                          I think you need to be a member/10posts to read this, I dunno-
                          http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,5081.0.html

360rwhp 27mpg @ somewhere around 3400lbs

ported edelbrock heads
                          tfs R
                          90mm tb
                          1 3/4 longtubes
                          custom cam
                          I was going to say, I seemed remember David Clafin reporting 28mpg with a 351. This is apparently either a different build or I'm remembering it wrong.

Either way, I want to do what he's been doing. Making ~200hp and getting 15mpg max really sucks (gas).
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yeah I think it is actually 368rwhp and 28mpg. its a 306 though

when I say rpm I, Im talking about the first rpm EFI that professional products ripped of the design for(typhoon). I actually prefer the holley systemax][ but you cant flip the upper

btw the tfs351 intake has the same runners as the tfsR for 8.2 deck

Comment

How much can realistically be done to these cars to save weight before you start getting ridiculous (ie pulling out seats)
                              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
                              X