Still having problems, what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still having problems, what to do

Resolved the timing an fuel issues, have 6psi to the carb. Timing is set at 8 and at 3000 reads about 30. Car idles awesome and can rev well. However when a load is put on (car in gear) it chugs and struggles. When slowly try to accelerate it back fires a little out the exhaust, and when you try to give it more than 1/4 throttle it back fires out the carb. Plugs point to over rich mixture. Not sure where to go from here, any ideas?

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Mess with the carb jets at all? I had a '66 Rambler with the 232 L6 that did the same thing.... ran great at idle, revved up great, and literally fell apart in gear. Wouldn't go at all, backfired, stalled, etc. Not only that but it was running slightly hot. Turns out my carb jet was WAY too small, so I installed a larger one, and the driveability problem completely disappeared. It just simply wasn't getting enough gas under a load.

EDIT - I also see you have rich plugs... that may also be a incorrect float setting. I would try larger jets and adjust the float a little lower.
    Last edited by BGoins12; 07-31-2010, 10:07 PM.
    '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
    Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
    CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

Comment

Have not touched the jets, but the plugs may have looked that way due to a high fuel pressure going to the carb before i got it regulated down low enough. I suspect it may still be an ignition issue. It lost spark after i shut it off and tried to restart it, and some unkown reason it started working again. I'm thinking of changing to an all HEI setup. I'm using the stock eec-iv coil, with a duraspark distributor mated to an HEI module (hybrid setup). This setup maybe just crap for my combo. What setup are others running on their carb conversions?

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

check the firing order

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

HO uses a different firing order than the lopo, in case you didn't know that already. 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I know the HO's firing order, but will double check to make sure its right. If no problems there I will remove the distributor cap and check the cap and rotor. Then probably pull the distributor (its a reman) and check it out. If its suspect i will go ahead and change my ignition setup to an HEI from summit, hopefully that will work. I dont think anything is wrong with the cam, then engine was running fine in the mustang.

Comment

A small handful of important questions:

- What's in the engine?

- What are you running for ignition?

- What model of carb do you have, and what is its history and current condition?
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                A small handful of important questions:

- What's in the engine?

- What are you running for ignition?

- What model of carb do you have, and what is its history and current condition?
                look at my second post in the thread for ignition details and signature for engine details.
                The carb is an edelbrock 1405 600cfm vacuum secondary, i bought it brand new from summit along with the edelbrock intake.

Comment

Kicking myself in the butt right now, found problem #4 and #8 plug wires swapped. Engines running good. Needs a little more tunning (need to advance timing a little more), and adjust kickdown for trans. Need to get 2 1/2 exhaust done and install rest of the nitrous system. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Nice! Were going to need some pics once you get everything all set.
                    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by Smokestacklightnin View Post
                      Kicking myself in the butt right now, found problem #4 and #8 plug wires swapped. Engines running good. Needs a little more tunning (need to advance timing a little more), and adjust kickdown for trans. Need to get 2 1/2 exhaust done and install rest of the nitrous system. Thanks for all the help!

AOD doesn't have a Kick down.... it DOES have a TV cable.
                      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Make sure you use a straight through muffler on the exhaust. Flowmasters kill power.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                          AOD doesn't have a Kick down.... it DOES have a TV cable.
                          duh, ok the tv cable needs adjusting , because its not downshifting when you floor it.

Comment

Working...
                          X