Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doing GT40P swap soon... questions

-where is the ECU located?

-http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FM...351R/?rtype=10......how do i rig up my breather line to he TB from the valve cover or is it not neccecary, and what the hell do i do with that hole in the other valve cover...i still have to pass e-test if it makes a difference but no visual sniffer only.

-with the mass air swap, other than the vac line to the MAP can i get rid of any other sensors or keep em all, including drilling and tapping for the air charge temp in runner 5 on the GT40 lower?

what would you guys guess for flywheel hp with.... GT40P heads with new better springs and seals, ported GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7 RR's, 4* advanced HO cam, 19lb injectors, 75mm maf, FRPP stainless headers to dumped after BBK H-pipe, A9P computer with custom tune after swap?

I'm sure i'll have plenty more questions before and during the swap happening at the end of this month-first week in september, i'm pretty excited to get it done.
    Last edited by merc91; 07-31-2010, 10:55 PM.
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

ECM lives above and forward of the parking brake assembly.

Those are for cars with cover mounted PCV valves. I'd expect them to come with a rubber grommet to seal it off. if not, get one. If there is no tube off the oil fill neck, then you want the sort of breather cap with the tube on it to tie into the throttle body. This is not optional with mass air.

Keep all the sensors intact, just delete the vac line to the MAP. The rest of the stuff needs to be in place to work properly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

220-240 at the wheels

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

this thing is gonna be sweet! what you gonna be running for exhaust? and what did you pay for the ported aluminum heads?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

i've got 2.5" BBK H-pipe running to a pair of flowmaster super 44's dumped at the axle. The stock mustang shorties will come off in the swap and some FRPP stainless headers will gladly take thier place.

I paid $600 for brandy new machined and freshened up stock port GT40P's...and that's with crane cobra 1.7 Roller rockers which is a pretty good deal i think. I do however need to get my GT40 lower intake ported next week hopefully be a speed shop down here.

And i just bored out a stang EGR at the collage to 67mm and drilled and tapped for the throttle bracket so I don't have to buy the lighting spacer for big bucks hehe, and put in the 75mm Mass air sensor in my intake tube.

For the last 2 years i've been reading everything on here and i've been looking forward to doing these motor mods and worked my ass off with 2 jobs all sumer to make it happen so i really can't wait!
          HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

when you get her done, we should have a southern ont meet of some sort. are you doing an engine swap or just top end?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'm going to be rockin the LOPO block and pistons still with everything else getting changed on the top end, yeh that sounds pretty cool i would definently be game for that...never ever seen another even remotely modded panther other than mine so it would be pretty cool.

Comment

is the 1990 mustang GT cam the same as a plain HO?

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
                  is the 1990 mustang GT cam the same as a plain HO?
                  yes

Comment

And i just bored out a stang EGR at the collage
                    You must have a collection of really boring collages!

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

-with the mass air swap, other than the vac line to the MAP can i get rid of any other sensors or keep em all, including drilling and tapping for the air charge temp in runner 5 on the GT40 lower?
                      About the IAT sensor. If you get the whale or aero air box, the IAT is attached to the box. No need for drilling, just extend your wires to reach the air box.

Comment

keep in mind the eec expects to read the temperature from the intake runner and not the airbox..
                        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

the bigger trick about the IAT is that the ECM does not enter long term learning mode unless the IAT sees over 120 degrees, which it should never do in the airbox. It really ought to be in the lower intake runner.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

copied from a previous post.. I dont remember where i found the info but it explains everything.

FN 825B - ACT will increase the engine idle rpm after about 192F, maxing out at 64rpm by 208F
                            FN 220 - EGR Multiplier is 0 until 58F, maxes out at 1 by 60F
                            FN 126 - Spark advance starts to retard at 160F maxing out at -2* by 190F
                            FN 135 - WOT spark advance is retarded starting at 150F, maxing out at -6* by 240F
                            FN 300 - Open Loop Fuel Multiplier is unaffected by ACT (always 1)
                            SCALAR - ACT MUST be between 100F and 200F for the Adaptive Strategy to start learning

In the A9L Calibration
                            FN 825B - ACT will increase the engine rpm by 48rpm at 200F, and a max of 72rpm at 226F
                            EGR Multiplier is .8 until 0F, then rises to a max of 1 by 56F
                            FN 126 - Spark advance starts to retard at 160F maxing out at -2* at 190F
                            FN 135 - WOT spark advance is retarded starting at 150F, maxing out at -6* by 240F
                            FN 300 - Open Loop Fuel Multiplier is .64 until -40F, .81 by 0F, and maxes out at 1 by 76F
                            SCALAR - ACT MUST be between 100F and 200F for the Adaptive Strategy to start learning

So what does this mean?
                            Idle speed – Obviously for both calibrations the affect is going to be minimal, assuming all other idle contributors are working properly. Moving the ACT to a cooler location should not have a major impact on idle speed.

EGR – Moving the ACT to a cooler location will affect the function of the EGR. It would not be recommended to try and pass an emissions test with the ACT in the airbox on a cold day (below 60F).

Spark – The Spark Advance is RETARDED with higher temps. Moving the ACT to the airbox can help to keep ignition timing higher. However, keep in mind that Ford used the ACT as a ‘Safety Factor’ for preventing high temp detonation. False information to the EEC-IV will make detonation more likely when the engine is warm/hot.

Fuel Multiplier – The Fuel Multiplier increases with higher ACT temps. Due to the low temps at which the ACT will impact the Fuel Multiplier this is not likely to cause an issue.

Adaptive Strategy – This may be the most critical one for most daily driver Mustangs. Not allowing the Adaptive Control to function (because the ACT never sees 100F in the airbox), could hurt fuel economy and could cause drivability issues.
                            Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I have explorer upper and lower...can i use the thermostat for my marquis and pcv valve i bought or do i have to use explorer stuff?

Comment

Working...
                              X