lightning egr spacer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lightning egr spacer?

hey guys i am not interested in this for myself because i like pimpin not racing. but i am starting c.a.m. (computer aided manufacturing)class this semister and also have unrestricted access to the colleges machine shop due to being a assistant. ive seen in posts something about this allusive lightning egr spacer. if its that hard to find maybe i could fab some. i wont do it for free though because my time during the semister is valuable to me i study my ass off to keep up a good grade avg. from what i can tell the only thing costwise for us would be the aluminum. maybe someone can post a sketch so i can start working it out on cad now then when the semester starts ill see what i can do. also how much different is it than the spacer for the lopo 5.0.? is the only difference the center bore?
    My wife and I.sigpic

Originally posted by HATNINJA View Post
    hey guys i am not interested in this for myself because i like pimpin not racing. but i am starting c.a.m. (computer aided manufacturing)class this semister and also have unrestricted access to the colleges machine shop due to being a assistant. ive seen in posts something about this allusive lightning egr spacer. if its that hard to find maybe i could fab some. i wont do it for free though because my time during the semister is valuable to me i study my ass off to keep up a good grade avg. from what i can tell the only thing costwise for us would be the aluminum. maybe someone can post a sketch so i can start working it out on cad now then when the semester starts ill see what i can do. also how much different is it than the spacer for the lopo 5.0.? is the only difference the center bore?
    how about just design one based from the lopo spacer but 65mm?
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

ok so thats the only difference? if that is the only difference i may be able to machine existing spacers. i will have to do some analysis to see if the thinner wall of the bore can take the heat from the egr. is there anyone who can tell me the hottest these spacers get? the only spacer i have is on my car but i would also need to know the original id and od of the bore.
      i read on here that ford no longer makes the tv bushing replacment i was also thinking of making a butload of brass tv bushings and selling them with the clips for maybe 15 bucks apiece if anyone would be interested.
      My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HATNINJA View Post
        ok so thats the only difference? if that is the only difference i may be able to machine existing spacers. i will have to do some analysis to see if the thinner wall of the bore can take the heat from the egr. is there anyone who can tell me the hottest these spacers get? the only spacer i have is on my car but i would also need to know the original id and od of the bore.
        i read on here that ford no longer makes the tv bushing replacment i was also thinking of making a butload of brass tv bushings and selling them with the clips for maybe 15 bucks apiece if anyone would be interested.
        original bore is 55mm i would suggest running to the junkyard and getting one they are usually 10 bucks, the stock lopo spacer can only be bored out to 63mm safely, autozone carries a grommet pack for 5 buck ,that suits me fine replace every 5 yrs im good.
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

there are actually 2 issues, the inlet size and the 2 studs cast into the housing for the throttle linkage bracket.

the stock EGR spacer can safely be bored to 63mm, which works fine for the stock HO upper intake, which has a 63mm opening. however the GT40 style intakes (GT40,Cobra and Explorer) use a 67mm inlet.
          The stock EGR spacer will NOT seal when bolted up to a GT40 style intake.

the stock EGR spacer also has 2 studs to mount the throttle cable bracket. The Fox body/Mustang EGR spacer does not have any provision for these studs, so you can not mount the throttle linkage bracket.

the Lightning EGR spacer fits the bill on both accounts, it has the proper inlet size and it has the 2 studs to mount the throttle linkage bracket.
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I just whipped one off in 2 hours at the collage last week...bored out an HO spacer to 67mm on the lath, then drilled and tapped and sealed in studs for the throttle plate. I think i'm going to do 5 or so next month and anyone who needs a spacer and doesn't want to pay tons for a super rare lightening, let me know. Or i'll bore it to whatever you like same goes for 63mm LOPO spacer.
            Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
            HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Modding the Mustang stuff is probably the easiest and cheapest route. There are shittons of them available for a song.

You could mill out a copy of the Lightning unit from billet aluminum, but thats a lot of machine work. It could easily be made into something superior to the original Ford unit though. You'd be ahead of the game to make a cast of the Lightning part, then produce a set of molds from that. The original Ford stuff is raw cast with just the gasket surfaces milled flat. Still, lots of work to duplicate the Lightning stuff no matter how you do it, machine vs mold.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

btw... just scored 2 lightning EGR spacers off nloc.net

woot !!
                2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

so gadget, are you saying that machining from raw aluminum would be a waste of my time or not? I will do as many of these spacers that I can in a semester if it is worth my time. But if I can't make some money off it, I won't bother.

if it's not worth my time gadget, tell me, but I can make a quality product if you guys want along with tv bushings. Just give me a hollah, i don't wanna chase my tail.
                  My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

merc 91 shame on you...get your own thread buddy...hee hee
                    My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

All you would really have to do is machine a blank block the shape of the panther egr, with the studs in the correct locations. Then when ever you go an order machine out the center bore to the correct size. Or you could just make up several with a 70mm opening and sell them that way. I am talking about egr delete plates btw not a functional egr spacer.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

ok, just tell me how much money you would pay for one. and how much money you would pay for a bronze tv bushing set because i love you guys like my sister but even i don't work for her for free.
                        My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                          btw... just scored 2 lightning EGR spacers off nloc.net

woot !!
                          HOW?!?!??!?! I just posted on there and have had no luck!
                          '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
                          Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
                          CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

Comment

no shit guys. you wanna get tongue jacked by everyone else fine. I'll make these for ya, but I won't make 'em for free, so talk to me.
                            My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

you know what ass jack...don't waste my fuckin time with what you got or what you're gonna do, i made you guys sn offer, talk to me. i don't wanna hear what you got or what you can do if you could do all this i wouldnt be sayin all this shit right now. so seriously i could make these for ya if you want em. simple as you pm me and boom its there. i just don't know how much to charge for them. tell me what they are worth.
                              My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X