HPP Traction Control with Trac Lok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HPP Traction Control with Trac Lok

I appologize that I do not have time to do a search if this has come up already. I thought that you could get one or the other but not both together. I am looking at a 98 GM with both (X5-3L27).....

fairplays 2000 grand marquis has a 3.55 locker and traction control

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Doesnt make much sense to have both at the same time. The way the traction control works is to clamp the brake down on the side that spins to force power to the other wheel. Traction locks would tend to make both wheels spin the same, defeating the traction control.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Doesnt make much sense to have both at the same time. The way the traction control works is to clamp the brake down on the side that spins to force power to the other wheel. Traction locks would tend to make both wheels spin the same, defeating the traction control.
        I can tell you from first hand experience with a HPP Grand Marquis that Traction Control does not work that way in the real world. If you are starting out on ice, especially on a hill it will drag your engine down nearly to the point of snubbing it out. Traction control is nearly useless from a stop. What it does well is help prevent your wheels from spinning and pushing you sideways after breaking traction at road speeds.
        Track Lok rear end helps you from a stop without dragging your engine down. If you are going up a hill and it is slick, sometimes you need to keep your wheel speed up even if you are loosing traction and spinning a bit.

Comment

^^^exactly
          Former panther owner
          1981 CV 351 4bbl
          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
            If you are going up a hill and it is slick, sometimes you need to keep your wheel speed up even if you are loosing traction and spinning a bit.
            But oh, oh, oh, shouldn't you be getting OFF the gas so that there's never any wheelspin, ever? Because if there's ANY wheelspin at all, you're stepping on the gas too hard?

That's what someone was pretty adamant with me about a couple winters ago, anyway.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Did you verify that the car indeed has a trac lok? Or does the diff or door tag just say so?

I've heard of folks having discrepancies between what is actually under the car, and what the door or diff tag says.

I think I'd rather not have traction control (unless its selectable).
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                Did you verify that the car indeed has a trac lok? Or does the diff or door tag just say so?

I've heard of folks having discrepancies between what is actually under the car, and what the door or diff tag says.
                Once I get it home I will physically verify everything. I am going to negotiate price this afternoon.

Comment

Price negotiation didn't go like I wanted it to. I crawled under it and wiped off the tag better. There was no L like I thought there was at first glance. I test drove it and only 1 wheel broke loose. It didn't act like a clutch pack. I am going to pass on it.
                  I found a 2000 with the 3.55 gears and a beautiful dark charcoal leather interior for a better price. I have an appointment to do paperwork on it Friday.

Comment

Cool. Can't be afraid to walk away or you'll never get a good price.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Cool. Can't be afraid to walk away or you'll never get a good price.
                      THIS!

and sometimes when you start walking away, they'll drop the price.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm told my father-in-law used to do this repeatedly to convince sales goons to lower their ambitions.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Today after test driving a car and getting the dealer's "best" price I drove to another town to test drive 2 more, came back and he dropped another $100. I bought the car.
                          2002 P71.
                          Attached Files

Comment

It looks damn clean!

How many miles?
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                              It looks damn clean!

How many miles?

I looked at a pile of cars the past couple of weeks and this was the nicest. It is cleaner than the ones with less than 90,000 miles I saw. I looked at a 2002 Grand Marq LSE (buckets and floor shifter) with only 75,000 miles but the motor has a knock when it is started up and sounds rough when it is running. Almost everything had been in some type of bump and bruise on it. I looked at 4 Grand Marqs with the handling package. The nicest was actually a 1998 with cloth interior and analog guages. 75,000 miles for $5100. If I hadn't found this one, I would have gotten that one. I really wanted a 2001 or newer with the PI engine and I wanted a factory Traction Lok axle.
                              This was an unmarked highway patrol car. The front seats look really nice and the cloth back seat doesn't look like anyone ever sat there. The drivers seat is power adjustable and it has adjustable pedals. Other than a stone chip on the hood I didn't see anything wrong with the paint. All of the panels fit properly. No evidence of any accidents or repairs. 3L27 axle. Being a 2002 it has the aluminum cross-over intake and the rear collision upgrades (shields, etc) already.

Comment

Working...
                              X