One speaker not getting power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One speaker not getting power?

After quite a few hours of tearing apart trim, laying wires, reassembling trim, rigging awkward solders and connections, and a full day of building a custom carpeted box for my audio system: it LIVES!

Well, almost!

The front driver side speaker isn't getting any power. Took it to the audio store; they refused to do any diagnostics because they wouldn't be able to warranty it, but they did confirm that the speaker itself is fine.

Now, I've had to do a lot of wiring, and the problem could be in many places I suppose. I'm not sure where to start!

It's almost all factory wiring. I intervened where the factory amp was, and obviously I didn't screw up completely if I've got at least 3/5 other speakers working. I also doubt that I did something as straightforward as clip the drives.

I was pretty careful to match up (+) and (-) for each of 5 speakers. If I mixed polarity, would that do it? If there was a short somewhere between two speaker wires, at the amp, could that do it?

Finally, maybe there's something silly I'm overlooking at the amp itself, and nothing at all with wiring.
    Here's the amp user manual, check out page 4:
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/...s/KACX650D.pdf

Can you think of any selection there, like mono versus stereo, or input selector, or anything else, that would cause there to be no sound from the left front speaker?
    I don't actually know if there's sound from the left rear speaker btw; haven't climbed back and put my ear next to each speaker to see that sound is coming from both. (so don't overlook a silly selection that would give only sound to the right hand side).

I did play with balance, shift it "+15" to the left, and still no sound from that speaker. That's not it.

mixing polarity on a speaker will make it move in the opposite direction of the others. it will send an opposite sound wave, canceling out some of your sound. it could be a bad output on the amp, but thats highly unlikely. check to make sure each speaker is getting sound by itself. mute the others and then check. if that fails it looks like its time to get out the handy dandy multi meter and check continuity in your wiring. good luck!
    What happened here?

Comment

is there an easy and convenient way to mute the speakers? (other than unscrewing all of them at the amp-- but that might just be the way to do it)

I pulled it out and couldn't see it moving at all. I worry it might be time to buy a multimeter :-(

Comment

problem solved! one of the RCA cables was bad. Good on one hand to know that I wired everything correctly and nothing was my fault, my first venture into car audio; but annoying to thing that I have to run a fresh cable through all that bloody trim again!

Comment

buy a multimeter anyway!
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

hahaha

Comment

Working...
            X