Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.6 in a Box...

Anyone done it???? Any write-ups?????

That was one of the first questions I asked when I first joined GMN. I'm still not sure what to do with the wiring between the EECIV stuff and whatever they're currently running in the 4.6L/5.4L vehicles. Physically, I would imagine that it wouldn't be too far different from doing the same swap in a fox body Mustang, which has been done.

Packman

Comment

I don't really understand why you'd do it, unless you were keeping it (the engine) stock.

4.6s are expensive to outfit with performance goodies (heads, cams, intakes, etc). If you were leaving it stock in hopes of improved reliability, longevity, and fuel economy, I guess I understand. I also think it'd be unique; but if performance was my main objective, I don't think a 4.6 would be my first choice in engine swap.

Maybe FRPP makes a standalone computer, similar to what GMPP offers for the LS engines?
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

my PI4.6 2v made 250 at the wheels with just shortie headers, prochamber, and mufflers, all else stock, 13.61@102.5 stock tires, 3.27 gears, '00 stang

thats about all a gt40/gt40p setup will make, with cam, intake, etc.

Comment

I don't know why anyone would leave it stock anyways. If the motor is out, at the least have the heads ported and polished. If one could fit a 4.6L in a box, then I would go so far as to say that a 5.4L wouldn't be much more difficult to stab in there. The aftermarket seems to waking up for the 2V engines, so making power shouldn't be difficult. With that said , I would build a 408W instead and be done with it. Though if I had a whale CV or MGM........

Packman

Comment

If it'll clear the wiper box (frequently cited as a problem area), then I imagine if you used the early aero mounts it should work. We unbolted the stuff from a 92 4.6/AOD car and swapped in parts for an 89 and the 302 and all fit properly.
            The fan probably won't clear so you'll be using an electric but thats relatively trivial. Accessories aren't a big deal either, either use the 92-95 stuff to keep the stock steering gear, or whatever you'd like and change the steering gear over so it matches the lines. The box rad fit in an aero, so it ought to go the other way as well. You'd need to figure out where to mount the expansion tank, or just change the plastic inner fender over to one that has the mounts. The trans cooler lines are on the wrong side of the radiator, but thats not a big deal.
            Fuel supply needs work. Aero lines both come up on the driver's side, box lines are on opposite sides. Not a show stopper but you'll need some changes there.
            The wiring is where it gets interesting. The ECM harnesses are basically self-contained on the box, but the 4.6 harnesses have ECM connections along with instrument panel connections. You'd end up with a lot of useless wires, but the trick is figuring out which you do need. I think all that will really connect to the car itself are VSS, fuel pump power, ignition power, neutral switch, and maybe the AC stuff along with the power feeds to the ECM. Ford is really bad about not providing connector to connector pinouts on things, so figuring out where to land things on your adapter harnesses sort of sucks. I spent more time trying to figure out what pin did what than actually making up the wiring on that 92. If the EVTM had pinouts of every single connector instead of only end-device connectors it would have taken me half the time. Instead it was go through the manuals system by system and look for anything that referenced one of the two connectors in the engine bay that connected the motor harnesses to the body harnesses, and then figure out which color wire in the connector was the one I needed.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

^ you are better off going by pin location, color helps, but Ive seen 2 wires the same color in the same connector, mostly on newer stuff though

Comment

Go for a pre OBD-II panther wiring harness and computer. That would be EEC-IV. 1995 and older.

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
                  ^ you are better off going by pin location, color helps, but Ive seen 2 wires the same color in the same connector, mostly on newer stuff though
                  if only Ford was nice enough to give up that info. They do it on end-device pins, not intra-harness pins, or at least thats what they were doing in the early 90s. Basically meaning I can get the pinouts for the ECM, or any plug connected to a device, but not the connectors that connect between the engine harness and the rest of the ECM harness, or the ECM harness and the body harness. Boxes have this more segregated, but on the 92, one plug in particular had connections for the variable steering, the temperature gauge, check engine light, oil pressure lamp, alt lamp, and probably some other stuff I can't recall. Instead of finding what did what on one page, I had to go through the EVTM page by page looking for any reference to that particular connector number, and then figuring out what, if anything, needed to be spliced into it.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X