Got A new Aiwa Audio Head Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got A new Aiwa Audio Head Unit

well i found this gem brand new in a box behind the spare tire in a 1983 Lincoln Town Car. I need help installing it. Can someone please tell me step by step. got it for nothing.

Pics

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

also got a condom for my distributor cap. Looks neat.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Thats not brand new, its already been installed in something, and it doesn't look like a box stereo plug.
      I'd test it to make sure it works before you think about installing it.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
        Thats not brand new, its already been installed in something, and it doesn't look like a box stereo plug.
        I'd test it to make sure it works before you think about installing it.
        Yep, that's been in something before. I don't know if an 83 has the same connectors as all late 80's early 90's fords do (the 2 typical plugs). If it does, easiest way to install it is to just get an adapter with the plugs, and match up the wires.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

First step, try downloading the user manual (if it's not with the unit), or otherwise identify which wires are which. Then hook it to a spare battery (charger works too) and speaker and at least make sure it's working before you actually bother with it any.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The instructions are on the case in the picture you posted. Run all new speaker wiring and hook everything up according to the provided diagram on the case of the headunit.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

You have premium sound, and the old school premium sound at that. I severely doubt a proper harness exists to make this a direct plug-in. Methinks you'll be running all new speaker wires.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

dont try to hook up that head unit to the premium sound wiring, you will kill the head unit.....i went thru three head units on my towny before i realized it cant be done.......you need to run new wiring to the four speakers from the head unit

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

*takes notes for his Mark VI with the non-functional premium sound

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

well installed it professionally at an Car audio place called Sound Solution, ran new wires and used some existing wires and had a adapter kit for a 1983 ford speaker match the same plug on the old one so it was plug and play to install on the unit. Works perfect and sounds good too. guy was very nice and only charged me $15 for just the harness. he said if i have any problems just bring it down to the place.

if you want pics just ask. and i works good with my amplifier.

Comment

ir even lights up in two different colors blue and red sweet.

Comment

ok, now that you have a radio, when are you gonna replace those plug wires so it runs right?
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

already did. heck those old spark plug wires were shit i took them off and half of them had the metal come out of the boot and were stuck on the spark plugs wires themselves. Fuck cheap shit made in japan.

Comment

On cars with Premium sound, (except maybe the very early ones,) only 5 audio wires (FR+,FL+, RR+, RL+ and a shared negative) come off the deck and run back to the trunk to feed the amplifier. From the amplifier, 4 proper pairs of wire run to the speakers, with the front dash and front door speakers running in parallel. This is only useful if you put your own amplifier(s) in the trunk. Otherwise you have to run your own speaker wires. Aftermarket decks have to have independent positive and negative wires for each speaker.
                            "Beasty Cruiser" '87 Grand Marquis LS 2-Door - Too much damage took its toll. Transmission blew, now a parts car.

Comment

It's not that hard, and not a bad idea to just run new wire anyways.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X