Finishing up Explorer 5.0 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing up Explorer 5.0 build

hi guys i got my GT40P heads back from the machine shop today. i had both heads shaved 30 thousandths. one of my questions is will i have to shave the intake the same amount to work and seal good and my other is i also gonna use 1;6 ratio pedestal roller rockers will i need to check push rod length? cause im sure the angle of the rocker to the rod will change, and i will need the right length rod so i dont f$% anything up. some background on the motor is its 97 explorer 5.0 with 40P heads Trickflow stage one cam, trickflow valve spring upgrade andi think thats about it. i know these are newb questions but its my first engine so any help would be bitchin thanks.

Mike Schultz, guy that does ported thumper heads http://www.hunterstyle.com/thumper/index.php says the most you can cut the E7 heads is .025" and still retain correct intake manifold alignment. I would assume this holds true for the "P" heads as well. at the very least you will need to shim the rocker arms, but custom (shorter) pushrods may the better bet.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

.030 should be fine

pushrods you'll have to measure

Comment

Measure your push rods and check the pattern it leaves on the head of the valve stem it should be a small patch centered on the stem.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

The formula I found for a 45 degree manifold to head angle dictated that you remove from the intake end seals .70 x what you milled from the heads and then .70 x that number for the intake manifold port face. Any competent performance shop should be able to figure it out and take care of you. You can compensate for the pushrod length with a rocker pedestal shim kit.
          Last edited by Mercracer; 08-10-2010, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I use rtv on the china walls and throw those china wall gaskets in the trash

some motors come from the factory with rtv on the china walls

Comment

by "china wall" gaskets, you mean the funny squiggly gaskets you get in an intake gasket kit? sorry for the n00b question/hijack.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

so where can i get shims to shim the rockers?

Comment

Kit at Jegs

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                    by "china wall" gaskets, you mean the funny squiggly gaskets you get in an intake gasket kit? sorry for the n00b question/hijack.
                    yes

as far a shims go, you have to measure on each rocker; measure your swipe to check geometry, then measure preload. dont just throw .030 shims in and call it a day

Comment

Working...
                    X