instrument panel lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

instrument panel lights?

Ok guys...here's a tough one (I think...). Is there any way to increase the brightness of my speedometer on these old 78 Marquis'? Any of you who have one of these cars knows exactly what I'm talking about...2 candles would be brighter! I'm not sure what the 79s and up have but our 04 Town Car is absolutely brilliant while the old Marquis is absolutely horrendous. And believe it or not there are like 8 or 10 bulbs in there! I've checked with sites like Sylvania & they say that LEDS are not brighter in such uses! Any "bright" ideas... (sorry...I couldn't resist... )

best results would probably come from removing your panel and taking out the blue filters... the blue filters combined with the incadescent lights in there give it the green color... try removing the filters and see if that helps
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

I have no idea how your cluster looks like but I am sure there would be plenty of room to drill some holes and add in some leds all around the cluster. They would remain hidden because they are tiny enough and would definitely help illuminate things.

You can also take out the cluster and clean everything real good...and LEDs in the stock locations definitely make things brighter...plenty of us here know this first hand.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll check into both solutions and post whatever works.

Comment

you might even benifit from brand new lamps. Bulbs tend to yellow and dim over time. LEDs would also be a big improvement, though you'd lose the original coloring. In stock form, the yellow lamp plus a blue filter makes for that green effect. There aren't any LEDs that I know of that exactly duplicate the color temperature of a regular bulb.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

here are bulbs from ebay that will allow the original look... get the multiple LED setup and not the cheap single LED bulbs... you can also look for other colors... blue isnt as bright as say red or green or yellow LEDs
            http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              you might even benifit from brand new lamps. Bulbs tend to yellow and dim over time. LEDs would also be a big improvement, though you'd lose the original coloring. In stock form, the yellow lamp plus a blue filter makes for that green effect. There aren't any LEDs that I know of that exactly duplicate the color temperature of a regular bulb.
              Hey Gadget! 04Ultimate from LoL here I'm going to try the led thing. I've got an extra dash assembly around here from a 77 Marquis we stripped a few years back & I'll post a pic of all the bulbs. We ordered a 78 Grand Marquis back in 77 & even then I was looking forward to a nice bright speedo having driven a 72 Monterey for years. To this day I remember how disappointed I was because the brand new 78's speedo was just as damned dim as the 72s! Where there's a will tho...somethin's gonna work!

Comment

i have white leds in my 87 mgm and its retarded bright comparded to the candle powered ones proir , i got mine threw superbrightled.com
                sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                87 mercury grand marquis
                88 crown vic lx
                89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
                89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
                00 ford crown vic lx hpp
                03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

Which LEDs did you get... suprebrightleds has tons (even for the same base)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

these ones in white

WLED Miniature Wedge Base bulbs

T3-1/4 (#194/168) filament bulbs found in many automobile and water craft applications. Built in current limiting resistor and diode to protect the LED from reversed polarity installation. 12 Volt DC operation.
                    Replaces: 194, 158, 168, 12256, 12961

Select Products →
                    WLED-x-x
                    WLED-x4
                    WLED-x5
                    WLED-x6

WLED-x, WLED-x4, WLED-x5, WLED-x6
                    Available Colors:

Information:

WLED-x

1 Wide Angle LED, 90 or 120 degree beam - These bulbs are Non-Polarized.
                    Available colors:

Information:
                    90 120

WLED-x4

4 x 3mm LEDs, 32 or 90 degree beam
                    Available colors:

Information:
                    32 90

WLED-x5

1 High Flux LED & 4 x 3mm Radially Mounted LEDs, 220 degree beam - These bulbs are Non-Polarized
                    Available colors:

Information:

WLED-x6

6 x 3mm LEDs, 35 degree beam - These bulbs are Non-Polarized
                    Available colors:

Information:

Compare these Products
                    Separate Products in this Bar

sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                    87 mercury grand marquis
                    88 crown vic lx
                    00 ford crown vic lx hpp

Comment

its the first ones on the page when u pull up 194/168
                      sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                      87 mercury grand marquis
                      88 crown vic lx
                      00 ford crown vic lx hpp

Comment

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...pt%2Fwled.html

WLED-x5 is what I have, they work great, those even look like the good ones.
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                        X