storing camshaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

storing camshaft?

What should use to store a camshaft in until I need it? Should I oil it up?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

grease it and rap it up with a oily rag.

Comment

I used lots of motor oil and wrapped them in trash bags. Grease might be better, though.

I had one cam box handy, so one of the cams on my shelf went in there. Storing on a flat surface seemed like a good idea, too.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Shouldn't they also be stood on end?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          Shouldn't they also be stood on end?
          I've heard that too. Camshafts and crankshafts.

spray them with some engine fogger or WD40 or similar "light oil", bag them, and sit them upright. Maybe hang it from a rafter by a coathanger or something if you don't have a convenient place to sit it.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

My old cam I sprayed with wd40 wrapped in newspaper and put in a box.

Comment

Question: where on earth are you going to store a cam vertically (or a crank for that matter, but especially a cam) where it won't get constantly knocked over and dinged? Don't know about you, but I don't have a bunker set aside for standing camshafts on end and expecting them to stay there.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Question: where on earth are you going to store a cam vertically (or a crank for that matter, but especially a cam) where it won't get constantly knocked over and dinged? Don't know about you, but I don't have a bunker set aside for standing camshafts on end and expecting them to stay there.
                That's just what I've heard.

Comment

I've always heard to stand them on end as well.
                  1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                  2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes, but HOW?

Comment

Rock:BOX:Rock idfk. Store it in a place it's not gonna be in the way.

Comment

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TsQ2mWt6XP...orsomethin.JPG
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

That made me laugh.

Comment

Mmmm MRE
                            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                            sigpic

Comment

cleaning all the fingerprints off it is the most important thing.. then set it in a garbage bag and rub transmission fluid/motor oil all over it. wrap it up in the plastic bag coated with oil and then in a towel.

it's messy but it will stay good for a long long time.
                              Last edited by cld783; 08-13-2010, 10:35 PM.
                              Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X