First Impression, Road Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Impression, Road Testing

Drove the Vic around a little today to get a feel of things, and what else is needed. Cruising on highway and then going to wot is fun. On down shift goes to 2500 rpm (third) and climbs quickly once it passes 3000 rpm, with the e303 cam it, it runs like a spotted ape. Had to get out of it at 85mph (i dont need any tickets) lol. From a dead stop it has just a split second of a bog (need to tune carb a little) but nothing too bad. On a soft launch (1800rpm foot stall) with a full tank of gas and spare, jack and tools in trunk it chirps the tires. This thing definitely needs gears. The 3.08 will need to go, for a 4.10 trak-loc. Getting solenoids for the nitrous system soon. This is definitely going to be a fun car!

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Yay, good to hear man glad your haveing fun with it. What kinda carb do you have again?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
      Yay, good to hear man glad your haveing fun with it. What kinda carb do you have again?
      Edelbrock 1405, 600cfm, vac secondaries, manual choke

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

3.08 gears blow for anything but the stock motor with it's stump puller cam. They're not all that great with that motor either.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I dunno much about eddys do they have a squirter set up like a holley? If so you mayb want to change it to a smaller shot to get rid of you bog. Or you can tune the secondaries to come in a little later.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Drove the vic a little bit more today and seem to have narrowed down what needs to be addressed with the carb. It appears to bog a little from stops when the throttle is first "tipped in" light throttle and hard take offs. Obviously isnt an issue if I foot stall and launch it. Not a problem at the track but makes it a little sloppy on the street. Going to advance the timing (something i was going to do anyway). Will it help the bog any? So what should i do to the carb to eliminate the bog?

Comment

sounds like the accelerator pump may need some reworking in the carb.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Only three things to do with an AFB accelerator pump. You put the rod in the first hole, the second hole, or the third hole.

You can also change the squirter to cause the pump shot to be delivered faster or slower. But that's it for pump adjustment, and reading suggests that squirter swaps aren't supposed to be a typical adjustment.

I did some interesting reading lately about AFBs intended for OE use. One factoid was that the secondary air doors often had different "attack angles" than the aftermarket models, letting you plant your foot and the air doors don't open as soon. Obviously, that variable has to be tailored to the individual application, which is why supposedly the OEs bothered with it while the aftermarket carbs just go wide open pretty quickly. Another factoid was that (supposedly) the metering rods sometimes had different-length large and small sections, and if I understood correctly, some even had three steps instead of the two we're used to.

I noticed last summer when I was trying to go as lean as possible with one of my AFBs, that I could get it to a point where it ran great once you were into the gas a little, but that left me with an off-idle hesitation that didn't seem to be able to be solved by moving the pump rod, apparently just a brief leanness while on the idle transition slots, so I eventually just put the primary calibration back a touch fatter and said forget it.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                X