Oil cap wont fit with HO valve covers and GT40 intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cap wont fit with HO valve covers and GT40 intake

One last question. With my GT40 manifold my oil cap wont fit because it will hit the upper intake when you turn it. I cant switch the valve covers so the fill is on the driver side cuz then it hits the cowl. Any suggestions for my Town Car? I'm trying to make everything look as stock as possible.

Cut the "wings" off the cap, or bent the actual fill tube slightly forward. Your using the stock stamped steel ones right? Or aluminum HO ones? Either way simple fix.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I'm using the aluminum HO ones..

Comment

I'd like to keep the wings. How would I bend it, put a pipe over it?

Comment

knock the wings off of the oil fill cap......i used mk7 vavle covers on my 92 grand marquis and had to do this

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

doubt you can bend it that much, will probably crack the valve cover or break the filler neck

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah these are off my Mark VII. I think I will try to bend it first though. I'm trying to keep this stock looking so its a sleeper

Comment

Those covers will crack if you wrench on them. If you're gonna try it, be sure you support the steel pipe and bend against your support, not the valve cover itself.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You don't need to cut the wings off. The oil caps are 2 pieces. A top and a bottom. They snap together. Pop them apart, screw the bottom into the vc, then snap the top on. Reverse steps when removing. Remind me guys and I will make a video of how mine works next week and we can sticky it.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

I bent the tube on my car and it cracked when I romped on it. I was able to jb weld it in place though to have tons of clearance.

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

heck... I barely have 3 hairs clearance with my stock valve covers and stock intake in my 88 MGM. Well... it seems that way since my fingers always bang the intake when I take the filler cap off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I just got a set of aluminum covers that had the neck cut off and professionally welded. Looks VERY professional. I got them from a seller on the NLOC. Thread linky for pics of the covers

If you know someone that can work with it the result is a modified filler without the buckling/kinks of being bent.
                        sigpic
                        https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
                        1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
                        1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
                        2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
                        2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

Has anyone ever had success with heating and bending the tube, while supporting the tube at the base?
                          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had success in cracking the tube off the valve cover.

I then jb welded it in crooked. Took FOREVER to fill up oil. Should have nipped away at the excess before it was jb welded in place.

Its cast aluminum. I dont see it bending at all.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Is the tube aluminum? I was always under the impression it was steel. That might bend if you heat it, aluminum will do nothing but break. I half suspect you'd have to use something that will fit snug into the bottom of the fill tube for support and dimple the steel where you heat it to give it someplace to bend.

Another option if its steel, cut a pie slice out of it, bend the tube forward, then weld the cut up.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Working...
                              X