Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elelctrical Trouble

hello all,

I acquired a new 96 MGM GS in April and a few months ago i started having electrical trouble with it. The problem is when trying to start the car, you turn the car (car powers up in first ignition position fine) but when you go to crank the starter nothing happens and you loose all power to the car until you return the ignition to the first position.

I myself, believe it to be the neutral safety switch, because if i slowly fiddled with the shifter in park or neutral i could start the car within 20 minutes or so no problem, but it seem this trick isn't working much anymore. I took the car to two separate mechanics, my personal mechanic and a Canadian tire one,
    1. my personal mechanic wasn't in one friday so one of his other mechanics replaced the battery wires and said it wasn't making a proper connection to the battery.started over and over for him fine.
    2.yesterday i took it to my local Canadian tire and had them take a look, started fine for the mechanic drove it on the lift, checked the linkage and starter, both fine, and didn't need any adjustments. after the checkup tried to start it and just couldn't get the thing going so he ended up crossing the wires on the solenoid to start it.

now we all came to same conclusion that its probably the neutral safety switch that is worn or gone, but before i sink $200 into my car, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. While installing my CB we also found a toggle switch connected to a red and black wire under the steering assembly( dont know what this is for or what it does) but i just thought that it was worth mentioning.

so any suggestions/comments.
    any help is greatly appreciated!
    99' Grand Marquis

usually when I have this problem I just clean the battery terminals and make sure they're on good and tight. It's usually weak/cracked terminals that are the problem here.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

wow, you have a personal mechanic?
      My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

Clean the starter contacts and ground wire. After I had this done, my '92 CV starts every time!
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

check the connections in that underhood fuse panel/ power distribution block.......i've seen them corrode and come loose or even apart

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The neutral saftey switch should be the Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS).
            You can get one from the junkyard for almost nothing.
            Rockauto.com has one for 55. use the site discount.

This is the path to find your part:

1996 FORD CROWN VICTORIA LX 4.6L 281cid V8 FI (W) SOHC : Electrical-Switch & Relay : Neutral Safety Switch

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
            X