Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What throttle position sensors fit Explorer 65mm throttle body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What throttle position sensors fit Explorer 65mm throttle body?

I'm trying to find out what TPS i need to use on my 65mm Explorer throttle body. It's on my GT40 manifold in a 1989 Lincoln Town Car. The stock Town Car one will only thread one screw into the throttle body the other one is off a little bit. Will a Mustang one fit or do I need to use an explorer one and splice that plug into my existing wiring?

ream the tps holes out.......that's what i did 5 yrs ago

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I could swear my stock one just screwed on. Others have used the Explorer TPS and changed the plug on the harness so it works.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've got an Explorer 65MM TB and my TPS from the lopo screwed right on, no
        problems. If that helps? You do have to turn it just a bit once it's set
        correctly in place, but it's suppose to work that way. Thats also how it went
        on my lopo TB!!

Comment

A panther one will work if you drill out the holes so you can get enough adjustment out of it. But using the explorer TPS is a more ideal solution. The blade that turns the tps is just a little less wide on explorer TB's and tends to wear on the tabs inside of a panther tps. As it wears the geometry of the rotation inside gets sort of funky and WOT no longer gives the signal it should. Hard to explain, I had to pop that cap off my panther TPS to see what was really going on inside. I'm using an explorer TPS on both cars now. Heres a link with the wiring info needed to change the plugs.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
          1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
          1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Thats interesting. I reamed my stock sensor out and used it. I was told on a Mustang forum not to use an Explorer sensor as it operates on a different resistor range because thats originally what i wanted to do and splice the plug into my harness.

Comment

I also drove it a little finally tonight. Idle is a little high so I will have to play with it. Has anyone ever run SLP Loudmouths on any of their cars before? My exhaust is ridiculously loud now, I ordered a set of MAC Flowpaths already lol

Comment

my cousin has stock SLPs on his Camaro, and its obnoxious.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  I could swear my stock one just screwed on.
                  So did mine. No problems!

Comment

There Are 2 Different Throttle Bodies For The Explorers & Mountaineers Both Are 65mm The Bolt Patterns Are Different One Takes The Old Style TPS And The Other Takes The New Style TPS Which Places The Bolt Holes Wider Apart Pre 98 Throttle Bodies Has The Old Style TPS (Hint:Old Style Also Has Piping Neck To Oil Filler Neck)
                    sigpic351w .030, B303, 1.6 Roller Rockers, GT40P Heads Mild Port Job,351w Lightning Lower & Explorer Upper,65mm TB, Custom CAI, 24# Injectors, Adj FPR, 1/2 Phenolic Spacer, TPS Enhancer, Shift Kit, 2400 Stall, Hi-Rev Govenor, MMC Alcoa Driveshaft, 3.73 Trac Lok, Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Fan, MSD Street Fire Coil, MSD 6AL Ignition 12.35 @114 mph spinning through 1st gear

Comment

Originally posted by gstak07 View Post
                      There Are 2 Different Throttle Bodies For The Explorers & Mountaineers Both Are 65mm The Bolt Patterns Are Different One Takes The Old Style TPS And The Other Takes The New Style TPS Which Places The Bolt Holes Wider Apart Pre 98 Throttle Bodies Has The Old Style TPS (Hint:Old Style Also Has Piping Neck To Oil Filler Neck)
                      That would make sense why my stock vic tps fits on mine. It's an early '97. That's good to know.

Comment

aha, that explains it. Mine has the pipe to the oil fill neck and the stock tps fit up fine. It came off a 97

Comment

Working...
                        X