Tire Sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Sizing

Hey, I have a broken belt in one of my rear tires...

Looked all over town and nobody can keep used 225/70R15s in stock... aside from some mismatched ('07-'08 with bad and horrible treadwear), unless I want some "kill-me-now" 9 year old tires.

I have some P205/70R15s on rims in my garage from a feew years back I'm thinking about rotating the passable front tires to the rear and putting the other tires and rims on the front.

I've got the HPP package with the air-suspension on my '94 Crown Vic. Will this be safe to run for a few months until I can afford a full set of new tires? Will the rake with lower front tires make the back end lower itself to where the tires might rub?

Please advise soonest, thanks!
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

It will look a little funny but would work just fine.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Damn, nevermind, I found some cracks in the sidewalls of the older tires...

I guess I could go back to the place and see if they had 215/70R15 because it seems that's what I have on the front, and 225s on the rear.

Or if nothing else, I could just have them replace the broken belted tire with the meatier of the two 225s they had on hand.
      Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 08-27-2010, 01:41 PM.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I have all 215s stock. they are cheap and work fine.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

where are you at? i have three good michelins off my 96 when i switched to 18s, you can have em
          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
          1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
          http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

Yeah, I have all 215s on now, with 225 snow tires for the rear when that season comes.
            They should work.

I was always curious: where do used tires come from? I tend to buy new and then run them till there's 1/16" of tread; I'm not supplying the used market with any good tires. Who gets rid of good, thick-treaded tires that have plenty of life left?

Oh, and what are your thoughts on junkyard tires?

Comment

junk yard tires are fine for city driving. I wouldn't trust them to highway speeds though. I got lucky and put 1300 miles on some junkyard tires before the radials slipped the the sidewalls split.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Tim_Marks: I'm right by Canton, OH. I live near Route 30 actually.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  junk yard tires are fine for city driving. I wouldn't trust them to highway speeds though. I got lucky and put 1300 miles on some junkyard tires before the radials slipped the the sidewalls split.
                  I have almost 10K on my junkyard tires. They were in great shape when i got them. My junkyard rotates cars out very quickly, though.
                  But, fear not. After winter, i'll get 2 new ones.

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                  X