Transmission pan leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission pan leaking

Well as the title says but...lol. Okay so it's fun under normal driving conditions no leaking, but when you run the car hard and let it rev, it pushes tranny fluid out the pan gasket and drips all on my exhaust. That's how I noticed it leaking I made a couple hard passes and pulled into my house and it was smoking. I did some looking and it only appeared to be around the pan. So I took it for about a 30 min drive nice and easy, no leaks, ATF on the exhaust. Then I take it out and make a hard pass and come back bam fresh ATF on the exhaust.

Any ideas what's causing it to leak only under hard accel. Somthing causing pressure build up? I dunno. I'm tired, it's been a long weekend, and I can't think. So help please lol.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

how old is the gasket?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Umm about 2 years

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

i seem to recall there being a vent in the trans case somewhere, though right now I don't remember where it is. Someplace towards the top, and I believe its one of those hat-looking ones like you'll find on the rear axle. See if you can find that and make sure its not all glooped shut. Also the obvious question, its not overfilled right ?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No not overfilled. Actually maybe a hair under the fluid line is right on the bottom hole, not in between them like it should be. There is a pressure bleedoff valve inside the tranny isn't there? I will check the vent out as soon as I get time.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

the pan isn't under any sort of pressure, unless the vent is blocked.

Do you have a trans cooler? Maybe the fluid is overheating.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just the factory one in the radiator. It was fine the first half of the day and I was running it hard. Then I parked it for like an hour and it started doing it. I will have to check the vent tomorrow before work. Would a clogged vent cause it to do itonly at high rpm?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

yup yup!!

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                i seem to recall there being a vent in the trans case somewhere, though right now I don't remember where it is. Someplace towards the top, and I believe its one of those hat-looking ones like you'll find on the rear axle. See if you can find that and make sure its not all glooped shut. Also the obvious question, its not overfilled right ?
                ya beat me to it. i was goint to suggest the vent, hopefully it isnt spraying out the vent because that isnt good.
                My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

well the guys over at clickclickracing gave me a suggestion and said they thought it was the front pump leaking and then the air underneath the car was blowing it around, making it appear as though the pan is leaking.

I checked it out today and they seem to be right, the bellhousing is very wet inside, and the bottom side of the bellhousing is very wet also.

My breather is not clogged btw. checked it today also, and its good.

So what do you guys suggest I do. Since it doesnt leak under normal driving conditions just keep pussy footing around with it until I can put my other AOD in there?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

replace the pump and/or the seal if thats whats leaking

Comment

But that requires pulling the transmission. Which I dont want to do until I am ready to put my other aod in there. It would be pointless for me to drop the current one replace a seal, and put it back in just to turn around in a month to drop it again to install the new tranny.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

Well I would suggest you not drive it hard if the front pump is leaking. It can and most often will run out of fluid very fast as the pump is spinning faster thus providing more fluid. What I would do is just baby the ol girl around and watch the fluid levels very close. AODs DO NOT like being low on fluid. Well one thing is how old is the transmission and how is the condition? Thats a important factor too. But if your going to replace it in a month I'd just baby it until you get it replaced.
                        1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "betsy" 5.0 lopo w/AOD with around 160k. Aka The Land Yacht aka Betsy.

Comment

Working...
                        X