header install for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

header install for dummies

I have a set of BBK shorty headers that I want to install...I had my exhaust done from the manifolds back and I'm unsure how exactly the shop joined the manifolds to the new pipe..if they welded the pipes right on or flanged it or what..

Can I still install these things myself or will I need to get a shop to do it, since there's some non-stock stuff going on there already? I don't have any welding experience or equipment whatsoever so I can't see myself being able to do much.

I know I will need to get someone to weld in holes for o2 sensors in the headers anyway - Is that a pretty standard job for an exhaust shop?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

The only headers I have installed on boxes have used either a mustang H pipe or an aftermarket x pipe which had provision for the o2's. You can get aftermarket bungs to weld into the headers. The BBK's should have ball type flanges, the muff shop will have to cut the stock type flanges from the cat pipe & weld ball types on to it. I think they may have to shorten the cat pipe as well.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

IDK if you can weld the O2 sensor bungs into those headers. My BBKs had very little room at the flanges for sensors; which I guess is why they put them in the H or X-pipes. The exhaust on my mom's CV is clamped and flanged together. The only welding needed were the hangers near the trans crossmember.

Packman

Comment

They won't fit. You'd have to have some O2 bungs thrown on your down pipes, and most likely the flange (well "socket") changed to fit a mustang style header.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

i'm sure they didnt weld the pipes to the cast iron manifolds
          you will have to install the headers, but beforehand pick up a pair of o2 sensors for a 90 mk7 the longest ones you can get. and you will need two o2 bungs.......take the car to the exhaust shop and have them mate your pipe to the headers and install the o2 bungs and sensors.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

ok seeing as i have BBK 1-5/8 shorties on my linc i can answer that question right nice and quick. the headers fit, but wont fit the stock down pipes, i pulled my down pipes off a stang that already had the 02 bungs welded in,in addition the downpipes bolt on, you may have to fiddle with it a bit to make sure they seal correctly though. the first time i did it i had the passenger one hanging down too low.I also had to lenghthen the wires, but what the hey it works,and rather well. my machine isnt fast but its sounds nice heheh. now i dont have full exhuast but it weill have on the future at some point.
            Last edited by zoomie; 09-07-2010, 12:07 PM. Reason: neede to add shtuff
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

probably more stupid questions, but....

I'm going to slap the headers on the first chance I get, but, I'm going to get the exhaust shop to do the welding of flanges and o2 sensor bungs and such since I don't weld (yet).

I know an EFI car needs o2 sensors to run properly, but would it be at all possible for me to pull the manifolds off, bolt the headers to the cylinder heads, and drive it 10-15km or so (with no o2 sensors) to the shop for welding and final install? I know I'd be venting exhaust into the engine bay but I could baby the car there easily enough so as to (hopefully) not melt anything.

Would I be wise to get them to install the o2 bungs on the headers before I bolt them up?

I basically want to remove the manifolds and bolt up the headers myself at home, but get the shop to do anything that involves welding, I'm just trying to figure out the logistics
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post

I know an EFI car needs o2 sensors to run properly, but would it be at all possible for me to pull the manifolds off, bolt the headers to the cylinder heads, and drive it 10-15km or so (with no o2 sensors) to the shop for welding and final install?
                No. Someone could die.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                  No. Someone could die.

They had it coming.

Any dangers besides that?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                    They had it coming.

Any dangers besides that?
                    You could die.

Comment

I believe it would be difficult for them to weld in bungs while the headers are installed, so it would be better before hand. Just one thing....I spoke with Thain about this before and he mentioned that in the collector you would only be getting readings from one port. That is why oxygen sensors are normally mounted down stream just after all ports mate up.

You can drive the car just fine. It would just be loud as fuck.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ah, so should I have the sensors put in the headers as far down as possible? Or do you mean putting them in the downpipes?
                        sigpic

Comment

From what I have learned it seems that the down pipes would be the ideal location simply because that is where all of the gases are mixed.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

+1 downpipes

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Cool, thanks guys. I will likely then bolt them on myself and bring the car to the shop to have them mated to the downpipes, then have bungs welded into the downpipes.

What gaskets shall I need, just the manifold gaskets? Are there gaskets at the flanges?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X