Just a quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick question

Hello mangs. I just wanted to ask a quick question about a transmission that i've been hearing about on this site from time to time. what exactly is the 4r70w? I know it's out behind a 3.8. I didnt know it would bolt up to a 5.0 until a few days ago. Is the mustang 3.8 and thunderbird 3.8 the same tranny as the 4r70w? I guess I just wanted a basic description of it. Like what makes them good or better than AOD, and when they started using them.

I just wanted to know so if I get a 3.8 in I'll know what tranny it has and if it's worth keeping. Sorry for the newbie kind of question. Thanks guys!

4r70w = an evolution of the AOD transmission that started selling in the early 90s.

4 = 4 gears
    r = rear wheel drive
    70 = arbitrary
    w = wide ratio

http://www.ford-aode.com/
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

the 4R70w is an electronically controlled wide ratio 4 speed overdrive transmission. Its descended from the AOD, and is very similar in a lot of ways. The wide ratio AOD uses the gearset from the 4R70w. They have some internal improvements for strength too, though the specifics of what lives inside the magic box eludes me.

Lots of mid90s 3.8 RWD cars used it, so I'd imagine the one in a Mustang is the same as the Tbird/Couger tranny as long as its say 94 or later. You can't just install one where an AOD lived though because of the electronics. If you buy the proper controller, or get creative with engine computers you can make it go though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Brandon, keep in mind that the AOD in our cars is not electronically controlled whatsoever. it gets input from the motor and from the TV cable
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

^^^ true you need an aftermarket controller if your run a 4r70w in a car it was not originally intended for.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
            4r70w = an evolution of the AOD transmission that started selling in the early 90s.

4 = 4 gears
            r = rear wheel drive
            70 = arbitrary
            w = wide ratio

http://www.ford-aode.com/
            the 70 is supposed to mean that it can handle 700 (add a zero) hp or ft-lbs can't remember which. This was told to me by a transmission mechanic. He also said that it was a very optimistic number though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

cool. kinda random.

somewhat on topic:

would a 302w bolt right in to everything in a 3.8 mustang? know if the mounts are in the right spots? assuming it would if the motor was once available in the sn95..just a thought since 3.8 mustangs are easy as all hell to find for CHEAP. a car with no options and basic trim would be fun to put an exploder engine in.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                the 70 is supposed to mean that it can handle 700 (add a zero) hp or ft-lbs can't remember which. This was told to me by a transmission mechanic. He also said that it was a very optimistic number though.
                I thought it was 700 N*m. It is a metric transmission.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                  cool. kinda random.

somewhat on topic:

would a 302w bolt right in to everything in a 3.8 mustang? know if the mounts are in the right spots? assuming it would if the motor was once available in the sn95..just a thought since 3.8 mustangs are easy as all hell to find for CHEAP. a car with no options and basic trim would be fun to put an exploder engine in.
                  v6 to v8 swaps are often done, but I'd wager for the time and money involved you could have just bought a v8 car to begin with, or hot rodded the v6 for equal or better performance.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh Okay. Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like a nefty transmission to have!

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                      I thought it was 700 N*m. It is a metric transmission.
                      That sounds better... that would make it ~516 ft-lbs

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X