Optimal Tunning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimal Tunning

Since going to the track, finally got around to doing some more tunning on the engine. Advanced the timing from 12 to about 14.5 (after 15 starts pinging). I'm running 93 octane fuel. Adjusting the timing has woke the engine up more. Flooring it from a dead stop spins the tire (open rear) till the trans shifts to 2nd.
    Next I will replace the spark plugs and fine tune the carb to get ideal air/fuel mix. Once i have that dialed in, then it will be time to complete the nitrous system.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

have you done any tuning on the advance curve, or are you just messing with the initial?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I suppose I should do more reading on timing on these engines before I do my HO swap so I know what to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

How big a deal is it to reset it once you've tested it and found it unsatisfactory?
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I set mine by ear and timeslip at the track. Base timing is very easy to set. on little bolt.

I did eventually check my base timing on my 87. 22* initial.

And tuning has only one N
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
          I set mine by ear and timeslip at the track. Base timing is very easy to set. on little bolt.

I did eventually check my base timing on my 87. 22* initial.

And tuning has only one N
          cool. Oh, and thanks for the spelling lesson, pusc

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

yeah, as I mistyped the response. LOL
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
              I suppose I should do more reading on timing on these engines before I do my HO swap so I know what to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

How big a deal is it to reset it once you've tested it and found it unsatisfactory?
              EFI is sort of different. The only thing you can readily set is the initial timing, which is as easy as loosening the bolt and turning the distributor. The curve and total advance is set in the ECM, so unless you have a tuner, you can't monkey with it. Smokestack has a carb and a distributor, so he can play with that stuff by changing springs or weights or whatever is appropriate for whatever distributor he has. I think its HEI, which you can change either or both on.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Pulled the spark plugs, they look great! Looks like the tune is good, all plugs have a normal appearance. Too bad they're Delco.LOL Oh well, will replace them when needed with motorcraft or autolite. Next 2.5" exhaust and complete the nitrous! Then time to go to the track!

Comment

Working...
                X