Lighting Control Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting Control Module

Didn't find anything on this when I searched, so I apologize for newbie redundancy, but it seems that it's a fairly big issue with the 03 - 04 models, and this seems the best place on the web to look for an answer to the problem.

I've seen various reports online related to this electronics problem, effecting every aspect of the car's lights, tail lights, stop lights, directionals. But in my case it's the common problem of the headlights not working except when I pull back on the directional lever. They still work sporadically, but I can't rely on them to get me home after dark. So it's time to fix it.

This problem clearly should have resulted in a recall by Ford, but they're not doing it. You can't buy the part from Auto Zone or any other parts retailer. I've priced the part out at Ford ($600) and have found the new, redesigned part for as low as $312 elsewhere, but I'm unemployed and looking for a better price. Research online suggests that the cheapest way to fix the problem is to buy a rebuilt module from someone on eBay at about $100. Just wondering what other peoples' experience has been with this problem and how they resolved it? Thanks.

basically, from what I've seen on-line, the problem is the relays in the control module. You have to remove them (soldering required) and then replace them. Those that do this usually wire in some relay sockets from outside the casing to keep the relays replaceable.

Personally, I've always thought that PCB mounted non-replaceable load carrying relays, like in the LCM, is a bad design.

Relay replacement: http://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/sh...77&postcount=4

headlight relay upgrade (take load off of the LCM): http://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/sh...78&postcount=5

LCM info: http://p71interceptor.com/lcm/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

oh, they use internal relays like the keyless entry module did. The old keyless box had relays that you could at least polish the contacts on to make them work again and it wasn't a crucial safety item, but agreed, stupid design overall. Headlights and other systems that are sort of critical for vehicle safety should use replaceable relays that don't involve a several hundred dollar part.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I have to fix this problem before daylight saving time, so have to get on it soon.

Ford really lost me on this one. Why the Feds didn't force a recall on this is insane. The fucking headlights don't work. It would be one thing if they made the part available at a reasonable price, but they're just gouging on this one.

Comment

Working...
        X