Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need To Locate Some Parts!

Hey guys,

I'm in need of a signal/ hi-lo stalk and an under-dash ATC sensor for my 88' Crown Vic LX. Salvage yards up here are pretty scarce and I've checked all the local ones with no luck. I'd just as soon replace these with new parts if possible anyway. Any suggestions as to a good source for these things?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

-Jon
    1988 Crown Victoria LX -124,000 miles and slowly reviving!
    "We are monkeys with money and guns." - Tom Waits

Dumb question, do you need the stalk only or the switch? Some members may have a good spare switch, they're about $30 at AutoZone IIRC, or you might try car-part.com if you haven't already to search outside your immediate area.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Moved to the LTB forum.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Sorry, 1987CP.....

Was operating on the assumption that the only "Dumb" qustion was the one that wasn't asked...*shrugs* Maybe I wasn't specific enough...Never had this exact problem with a car.

As far as being more specific..

While driving down the highway last night with the lights on High-Beam, they suddenly flickered and went out, including the High-Beam Indicator (blue light) on the dash....I switched to Lows and everything was fine...A few minutes later I cut back to Highs and the lights did the same "flicker-and-out" routine, only this time they didn't come back on when I switched to the Lows. They DID burn on high when I pulled the stalk back towards myself and held it though. I quickly found a place to pull off the road and after toggling the stalk a few times I got the lights to stay on, on Low-beam.

Wiser, more experienced heads may beg to differ, but I assume I need the steering column stalk....Correct? But can you still buy these new?

-Jon
        Last edited by Little Jon; 09-20-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I just went through this same problem, its probably the multi-function switch. I got mine for 20 something dollars at O'Rileys, Super easy install.

George
          1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Thanks, George!

I'll head down to O'Rileys this week and pick one up....Didn't know they had them!

-Jon

Comment

...And thanks to David for moving this thread to the right forum!

....Still learning my way around here!

-Jon

Comment

WELL DONT DO IT AGAIN.

Actually it is no problem.The way your questions were formed made it difficult for me to decide if it should stay where it was or if I should move it.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Another reason to relay the headlights.

Comment

My previous daily driver for the last 8 years was a Mazda Miata (Don't laugh, guys!) and Miata owners have a forum very similar to this one that is a huge help to Miata enthusiasts. Through them I was able to source parts from several dedicated Miata salvagers around the country...Mostly a great group of guys.

Are there any such places for Panthers out there?

-Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jon View Post

Are there any such places for Panthers out there?

-Jon
                      www.grandmarq.net
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

What exactly is an under-dash ATC sensor? Do you mean the interior air temperature sensor that lives above the glovebox? If so, you want to buy that new. Used ones are mostly shot. I believe these are available from Rockauto, but if not you can probably get one at the dealer, assuming you can get them to look in the old books.

is the part number.

and this is the part installed, just to verify we're talking about the same thing

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget73,

Yup, thats the one! Using your climate control, trouble shooting thread from the "Box-Tech" forum lead me to this point. I've gone thrpough and repaired all my vaccum leaks (Dear God!) and am still experiencing some of the ATC symptoms described...Poor, fluctuating heat/A/C, loss of vacuum pressure under increased/heavy acceleration, etc...
                          I think i've nailed down all the other potential culprits.

Your thread has been INVALUABLE and I can't thank you enough!

Also, thanks for the part # and pics. That'll be a huge help as well.

I'd give anything if I lived close enough to get an official "Scott Service" performed on the old gal! lots of little crap to be fixed and surprisingly few mechanics up here that are willing to tackle working on the 'Vic....

Had one mechanic actually ask why I'd even bother with "such an old Goddamn boat." (His words!)

1988 is old?

1990LTD, You are correct...This is THE place!

Thanks again, guys.

-Jon
                          Last edited by Little Jon; 09-21-2010, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Oh, and good luck on Galactica, Gadget! I'm dying to see how it turns out...Looking sharp!

-Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jon View Post
                              Had one mechanic actually ask why I'd even bother with "such an old Goddamn boat." (His words!)

1988 is old?
                              Yes, 1988 is getting pretty old (I remember back in 1990 when my mom thought her '84 Fox LTD was old), and availability for a lot of things is getting super-spotty. We're constantly griping on here about how wrecking yards usually don't even keep the things around, just toss them more or less straight into the crusher after a week or two. No one really needs a good '83 lowpo core, but lots of much-needed oddball parts lost that way.

I actually had a dealer mechanic observe that he didn't understand why I would want dual exhaust on a station wagon. And I do agree that, at least for me, Boxes have lots of annoyances, and I understand that a lot of mechanics are probably more interested in doing nothing more than brakes and oil changes on new stuff and charging a lot for it, but I still have trouble understanding the excessively negative attitudes, especially considering the number of people (non-enthusiasts included) who are still getting lots of good use out of these old pieces of junk.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X