Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 TC MAF conversion questions

A brief description:
    1990 TC LOPO engine with a knock... Now sitting in the shop floor. LOL.
    I have a 2000 Explorer 302 GT40p engine that will be here early next week. I am going to do a MAF conversion for future mods. Cam, etc. (different thread coming). I am looking for guidance. I have read plenty on LoL, SBFtech, FordFI.com and lots on here. I am just trying to put all this info I have recently learned together for this big car.

What I have to work from:
    1995 TC Limo that I can rape pillage and plunder.
    Junkyard with no engines next door to my house but lots of cars.

1 - I have pulled the MAF from the '95 it is a 77mm. That is a good start right?

2 - I have pulled the TB from the 4.6 also. It is a 70mm. Will I be able to use this on the explorer engine or should I use what comes with the explorer and what size should it be?

3 - The '95 Limo TC has yellow injectors. They are a darker yellow but yellow nonetheless. What size are these? I have seen info on the orange ones but not yellow.

4 - Should I pull the engine side plug of the ECM of the '95 for the MAF swap? If so should I just cut all the wires at the plug or pull the entire engine harness to save the plugs and all wires?
    (I noticed the TPS has a different plug on the TB

This will get me started but I have plenty more questions.
    Thanks in advance,
    Neal

2 - i think the explorer TB is the same size

3 - those are the orange 19#s, same as whats on the explorer motor, they will work.

4 - the '95 Lincoln ECM wiring isn't going to help, except for the MAF sensor pigtail if that sensor will work
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

1) yep, it'll work

2) 4.6 throttle body won't fit up to a 5.0

3) should be orange or maybe a yellow-orange, but the 4.6 sohc has the useful 19# injector you want.

4) harness for parts may not be a bad idea. Leave it as intact as you can. If you can pull the MAF wiring out in one piece from the ECM out to the sensor, it will make installing it easier and cleaner.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OK Gadget, I can pull the harness but what connections should I keep on the harness?
        If All I need is the MAF sensor that will be easy. Are you sure that is the only conection I will need?

You also said SOHC on the 4.6 injectors. This has a cam on each head. Is that what youmean?
        I plan to rob those injectors tomorrow.

Anything else I can rob from that vehicle before I send it to the crusher?

Comment

It doesn't hurt to have extra ECM pins lol. SOHC one cam over each head yes. If you're getting the 2000 explorer engine, are you getting the whole thing? Including intake and stuff? If you are, I wouldn't be worried about the throttle body, as you'd have one. Use the injectors from the limo. They're the same connector style as your injector harness on your '90. The 2000 ones have a different plugs on the injectors. Get new o rings for the injectors, since you're gonna need to pull them off the fuel rail and put them on your '90 fuel rail.

Also realise that you won't have a working EGR system with that intake set up. No integral EGR. Some people say that that's a good thing. I call bullshit since it lowers combustion chambers and only comes on when you're not accelerating. '96 and most '97 explorer 5.0s have the intakes with the integral egr passages. Like our stock ones. Also the throttle bodies on those years will accept the stock vic/towncar/grand marquis tps, and also has an elbow for the valve cover breather for the pcv system.

Comment

Yes I am getting the whole engine. I was told it has the intakes and exhaust manifolds still on it. They pretty much lift the engine up and cut anything that is attached to the vehicle. LOL

I know I won't have an EGR. What should I do for this? Is there anything different I need to do?
            I am going to cut the tubes from the air pump and seal up the exhaust for now. Atleast till I get the duals going.

Maybe I will pull most of the harness. That way I will have plenty of wire connected to each pin. Remove and save what I don't use. Anybody need an ECM from a '95?

Comment

Originally posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
              I know I won't have an EGR. What should I do for this? Is there anything different I need to do?
              If you want a functional EGR valve, there are two routes you can take. 1) being you get a '96/'97 Explorer GT40 Intake. These have the integeral egr ports
              [img]http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=21935&stc=1&d=12703407 87[/img]
              like so. The round hole between the 8 intake runners. That's a sign of the integral EGR ports. Where you can use your stock Towncar EGR valve ( a lot cleaner in my opinion).
              Lightning 351w egr spacers are perfect for this (hard to come by though). And it allows you to bolt up the stock throttle linkage bracket. Someone on here made a Mustang egr spacer work by fabbing some brackets to make the stock linkage attach.
              2) The other route is an egr valve with an external exhaust pipe from your exhaust to the egr valve, it will work just the same, but now you got that ugly pipe.

If your state has emissions/ and visual inspection, I'd at least have the egr valve there for looks, if nothing else. Make it appear to be hooked up. I would still recommend you to have a functional egr.

Comment

No emissions here at all. Will not need egr. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Another question;
                  I know I need a computer from a '89-'93 mustang (Hard to find BTW)
                  Why can't I use one from an Explorer?

Comment

Explorer ECM is shaped different, its connector is different, its wiring is different, its ignition system is different...
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

So I guess it is different huh? LOL

Ok. Back on the hunt. Man these computers are hard to find. Unless you want one for a 4 cyl 2.3L

Comment

I found one. Does this look like what I need?

Stock Number: 7XH23190W
                        Fits: 1993 Ford Mustang
                        Ignition control; 8-302, 5.0L, Automatic Transmission
                        Description: Engine Computer
                        IGN, E7DFAZA
                        Condition: 109K
                        Warranty: 6-Month

Comment

sounds like it should be what you need.

The EGR, well if you don't need it, the easy way is to get one of those egr eliminator plug things that just plugs in where the egr valve sensor should be, and forget about it. If you need it for visual, bolt up the egr sensor and just don't route any vacuum to it so it can't open.
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I may actually have an EGR afterall. I will just have to see once I get the new engine. From what I have heard it doesn't really provide a hinderance to performance. It may cause bad idle and poor fuel mileage if it is disconnected from what I have read.

Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

The egr is not open at idle or WOT. Its only opened at part throttle cruise speeds. You will get slightly improved fuel economy and reduced emissions with it working, but generally speaking the engine doesn't actually run any different. I run egr because I have the proper equipment on the car, but for a brief time I had it unhooked because of other issues and it made no difference that I could see.

Comment

Working...
                              X