Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD '83 vs 87-91

Pretty simple question...

is the AOD in my '83 the same AOD as what's in the later boxes? Or is the later one electronically controlled?

Originally posted by NitroNic View Post
    Pretty simple question...

is the AOD in my '83 the same AOD as what's in the later boxes? Or is the later one electronically controlled?
    The AOD was never electronically controlled. Unless you are technical about it. AODE was, and the later 4R70 trans was as well.
    The later ones are stronger. I don't know why, I've just heard that.

Comment

the pre 86 is generally considered the worst of the bunch, and the 89+ the best. They are weaker with smaller overdrive servos and theres something about lubrication passages that aren't present in the earlier ones. No box had an electronic trans though. That started mid year 1992 on the aero.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        The AOD was never electronically controlled.
        That's pretty much what I was getting at.

My dad has talked about putting an AOD in his old truck and I told him I've seen plenty of late boxes for sale around here that he could buy for a few hundered bucks and yoink the AOD out of it. And his reply was "they might be electroniclaly controlled."

So I thought I'd run it by the experts on here

Comment

Originally posted by NitroNic View Post
          That's pretty much what I was getting at.

My dad has talked about putting an AOD in his old truck and I told him I've seen plenty of late boxes for sale around here that he could buy for a few hundered bucks and yoink the AOD out of it. And his reply was "they might be electroniclaly controlled."

So I thought I'd run it by the experts on here
          The only electrical stuff on the AOD was the vehicle speed sensor, and the neutral safety/reverse light switch.

Comment

Working...
          X