Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My motor has a riddle for ya's...head issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My motor has a riddle for ya's...head issues...

alright i did a gt40P head swap amongst many other things to the motor and it goes like a raped ape now but has a problem.

Exhaust gas leaks into my coolant system, but no antifreeze gets into the oil or gets burned, the displaced coolent just goes into the overflow tank and doesn't return do to exhaust gas taking up space.

I had this issue and took the heads off and no gasket problems, bolt torqing was correct at 80ft/lbs now, 75 the first build, gaskets were on correct and the shop gave the heads a check for warping which turned up good also. So i put it all back together again and still have the same damn problem. I put in a bottle of stop leak to keep the coolent displacement at 1" per hour of driving for now. I did a very close visual inspection for cracks and found non but i did no magnafluxing. Compression check turned up good at 130psi on all cylinders, and no steam cleaning in any cylinders. LOPO engine was perfect before build, besides the 150 hp.

so if you guys can figure out what could be doing this tell me your ideas.

thanks, andy
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

i wish i could give you advice but, iv never experienced somethin like that

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

how exactly did you determine there is exhaust gas getting into the cooling system?

:confused:
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

That's what I was thinking too. When the coolant system dumps coolant into the recovery tank it doesn't mean it's going to suck all of it back in when the system cools. It probably appears as though none of the coolant is being sucked back in but it is. If all of it were sucked back in then it would draw air too, which is what the tank is there to prevent in the first place.
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Maybe he did a block test. You know, where you use the solution, and if it changes color, you have combustion entering the cooling system.

Its really the best way to determine if combustion is entering the cooling system.

But (like was mentioned), just because the coolant fills the overflow and doesn't return to the engine, that doesn't necessarily mean it is being displaced by exhaust gasses.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

do you at all smell coolant in the exhaust?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

no white smoke?
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

When I pop off the rad cap after the engine has fully cooled, their's an inch or 2 of coolant missing and the air occupying that space reeks like exhaust. And when the engine is idling with the cap off thier are pulses pushing up the coolant until some bubbles make thier way out that also smell like exhaust. And after running the car, I can wait a half hour and then crack the cap open and exhaust smelling air pressure comes out.

Say my overflow tank is filled to the full cold mark, well i'll drive it for 30 minutes and then it will be up close to the top or even pissing out the top, then the engine cools and pulls an inch back out of the overflow but I still gained 5 inches of coolent in thier. I take it for another 30 minute drive and i'm shooting coolant out of my overflow tank in no time and let the engine cool and look in the rad and i'm missing 4 inches of coolant but lots of exausty air.

...but the killer is thiers no coolant smell in the exhaust, and no white smoke.

I don't know if thiers a hairline crack or a small low spot in the head that can hold back the 16psi of coolent pressure one way, but let through the air at combustion pressures.
                HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Have those heads been ported? Its supposed to be very easy to get from the exhaust ports to the water jackets on a P head if not careful. Could be a crack in one of the heads.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I agree, Gasket or crack in the head. It is interesting the exhaust smell but no coolant in exhaust. Did you have the heads checked for warpage when you did the porting?

Comment

what EGR spacer are you using and what EGR gaskets do you have? are the coolant lines to EGR spacer hooked up ?

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

2 simple tests you can do...

1st, pressure test the cooling system see if it holds pressure.

2nd do a cylinder leak down test, if there is a crack in one or more of the ports, this will show it.

Comment

cooling system pressure test showed up very good, the heads were not hogged out to bad, the port job was relatively light. EGR spacer coolant lines are not hooked up, and it's a bored out HO spacer to 67mm...but i'm not burning coolant anyways.

Today, after a few days of the stop leak in their, it 99% stopped the exhaust leaking into my coolant system.

I will get a leak down test done if and when it starts leaking again.

Comment

stop leak. Big no no! Get your heads magnafluxed, it sounds like there's a crack somewhere.

Comment

more then likely a crack, it sucks having this problem with my daily driver to college and work so it was pretty much a no-choicer to give the stop leak a whirl since i couldn't go more than 15 minutes of driving before all my coolant was pushed out and a big overheat.

Tomorrow I'm going to re-torque the long head bolts and hopefully i'll be able to get something on them and if not i'll have to get something sorted out and get the heads magnafluxed i guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X