Looking for some upgrades to my GM GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some upgrades to my GM GS

Hey friends. I just bought an '01 GM GS and want to upgrade a few things.

Stereo.....the current one is a stock cassette player. Yuck. I want to buy a stock CD player. Does anyone know the part # for such player? It doesn't have to be the 6 disc model. I am open to aftermarket players if you have a mid priced suggestion.

Wheels.....my current ones are chrome hub caps.

Right now I have these....

Cleaning those hubcaps is a total PITA. Especially when the elderly lady I bought the car from never had them cleaned good or polished, so they are pretty gnarly up inside the spokes.

I did just see a GM with the Mustang Bullitt rims on it and thought they looked pretty good.
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

We have miles of threads on fitting different or aftermarket wheels. IIRC, most anything pre-'03 has very similar wheel requirements, so even Box-body wheel tips ought to help you out.

You'll have to get the thumpa-thumpa guys to help with stereos ... I'm currently tuneless in both LTDs and have no immediately plans to change that, but then, I need the cash to repair and replace fail-prone 30 year old parts!
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Right on. Thanks dude. I'll dig around...

That engine in your av, is that installed in one of the three cars in your sig? Sleeper!
      '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

It is, though it doesn't look nearly as nice now, and I'm not sure what's going to ultimately become of it. My other 5.0 with smaller heads, smaller cam, smaller intake, and smaller manifolds and exhaust seems wheelie peppy by comparison, which strongly suggests to me that something is probably amiss. At least it's still providing reliable transportation, which is more than can be said for some engines I've had ....

Comment

Originally posted by r2t View Post
          Hey friends. I just bought an '01 GM GS and want to upgrade a few things.

Stereo.....the current one is a stock cassette player. Yuck. I want to buy a stock CD player. Does anyone know the part # for such player? It doesn't have to be the 6 disc model. I am open to aftermarket players if you have a mid priced suggestion.
          Well thanks to Rizzo in this thread... http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=40772. I was able to locate the part # for the CD Radio. F8AZ18D806AA

Unforunately, when I google it, nothing comes up. I guess I should try a junk yard. Anyone know what other models carry the same CD player? Any Ford/Lincoln models?
          '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Also, if anyone knows offhand what an '01 Grand Marquis wheel wells are capable of hosting in terms of tire dimensions, that would be great. I am trying to determine what size tires I can put on.

Probably no bigger than a 17-18" wheel and no lower than a 55-60 series because I love the soft, smooth ride but I do want to go as wide as possible without the tires sticking out of the wells and without any rubbing when doing a tight u-turn.

Does anyone know if the Mustang Bullitt wheels will bolt up without any mods or spacers?
            '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Also, if anyone knows offhand what an '01 Grand Marquis wheel wells are capable of hosting in terms of tire dimensions, that would be great. I am trying to determine what size tires I can put on.

Probably no bigger than a 17-18" wheel and no lower than a 55-60 series because I love the soft, smooth ride but I do want to go as wide as possible without the tires sticking out of the wells and without any rubbing when doing a tight u-turn.

Does anyone know if the Mustang Bullitt wheels will bolt up without any mods or spacers?
              Bullitts will need spacers (1.5" IIRC), and if you were going with 17x7 or a 17x8 go with a 235/55-17. Its what they run on the 03 up police cars, its what I have on mine ( I have 17x8), and I love them tons. They mated up to the stock tire height within a quarter of an inch, so there was no change on the speedometer, and it has just enough sidewall (not too much, not too little) and the tire sticks out just far enough from the wheel for my liking. Another option is 255/50-17 or 255/45-17, but the 235's have a much better selection (my next set is going to be BfGoodrich Ta/KDWs)

If you are going with 18's, I'd go with whatever the stock tire size was on the marauder (width permitting)
              Last edited by hemihotrod402; 10-06-2010, 03:01 PM.
              Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
              New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

People use spacers on Mustang wheels on pre-'03 cars. I think there's a set in the For Sale section currently ....

Comment

Yep these are what you need

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=41169
                  Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                  New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Right on guys. Thanks a bunch.

Hemi, I noticed in your Vicky thread you orignally planned to buy chrome bullitts. What prompted you to change to what you have now? And if ya don't mind, what did ya pay for your rims?
                    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Right on guys. Thanks a bunch.

Hemi, I noticed in your Vicky thread you orignally planned to buy chrome bullitts. What prompted you to change to what you have now? And if ya don't mind, what did ya pay for your rims?
                      My original plan on the Bullitts got scrapped when I found out I needed spacers, and I liked the idea better of having some lip rather than having almost none. (at least on a Box). I saw Coys at a local Goodguys show and immediately fell in love with their C-5 wheels. They were a cheap alternative for Torque Thrust IIs, and I didn't need spacers. Plus they came in gunmetal gray, which IMO looks INSANE against the blue paint.

I racked up a 1300 dollar Bill when I got mine, but that included wheels, tires, center caps, and lugnuts. Wheels alone cost me 700 (for 17x8)

Comment

C5, as in Corvette?

Comment

No, its just the name of the wheels

Comment

Working...
                          X