Bottoming out!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottoming out!!!

I was driving on some roads where they have dips on them and as I cruising along I hear scraping!!! :hairrais: Then I looked under and found it was my U blots for my exhaust so no real biggie. I looked at my car today and noticed my rear end is sagging bad. I know I need new shocks but do I also need new springs? I would like to put on some new ones like from a police car so I dont have so much body roll and so I have a good rake to it. I think HD wagon coils are to big, but would police springs raise the hieght at all? Anyone using KYB GR-2 shocks also?

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

You definately need the springs. You can get cargo coils or HD replacements. Replacement wagon springs would give you a little more lift in the back.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I'll second that! Springs wear out and need replacing. A new set of PI or cargo coils will bring back a life you never knew in your car!

Comment

Okay thanks, But I would like my car to handle pretty good. I like the lift but also I want a higher spring rate too. The thing I'm kinda worried about is getting higher lift springs and having my wheel well look empty and dumb cause its too high. So I'm thinkin wheels and tires are on the way too.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

PI springs don't add height, they are just increased spring rate.

Comment

Cool, but I my rear is sagging so I dont know how much it will bring it up in the back. I'm gonna do some research. Just in case where do you get PI coils at?

Comment

If your springs are tired, getting new ones will bring it back to normal height. If you are sagging from the dead bodies in the trunk, either clean out or go ahead and get the cargo springs. I believe that Advance sells them, but I'm not sure. Others here will know where to get them.

Comment

Most parts places will have replacement springs, the dealer also has them, if you want factory parts. p71interceptor.com has the PN listings for all the springs from 79+. PI or sedan Cargo Coils will put it back to stock ride hieght and it will help handling alot. Even just some moog replacement springs will be a great improvement. The cargo coils are nice beause they keep the nice ride, but when pushed, the stiffen up and you get good handling and load carrying.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

when i put HH springs in the rear of my 97 i took the EE springs out and put them in my 85. the PI springs are bout 2 inches shorter but the car sits at the same heigth
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                    If you are sagging from the dead bodies in the trunk, either clean out or go ahead and get the cargo springs.
                    OHH....SHOOT, Thats why! LOL

Thanks for clearing me up about the cargo coils. I thought that they were still soft and just taller. I read the artical about chevelle springs and now I'm thinkin about em. I will probably go with the cargo coils.

Comment

Here's a pic of my linc with the old worn out factory springs up front , cargo coils in back, and the air shocks pumped up to about 120psi or so...

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                        If your springs are tired, getting new ones will bring it back to normal height. If you are sagging from the dead bodies in the trunk, either clean out or go ahead and get the cargo springs. I believe that Advance sells them, but I'm not sure. Others here will know where to get them.
                        Advance sells them. They are made by TRW.
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          Here's a pic of my linc with the old worn out factory springs up front , cargo coils in back, and the air shocks pumped up to about 120psi or so...

That's what GL looks like at the moment. Saggy old bitch lol
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Springs are cheap and easy to change. Get new rubber isolators for the tops of the springs too. A pair is like $4 or something. I think my cargo coils were $70. Doesn't affect the ride, height is stock too. PI springs will firm it up a bit. Add a rear bar and a bigger front bar and it will reduce body roll a hell of a lot. I have KYB GR-2 front shocks that I put on tonight and I'm overall happy with the results in spite of the slop in my front and rear from bad control arm bushings. The car handles very flat and I can crank it around turns at speeds that a car that size simply should not be capable of.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Working...
                              X