Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIS Distributorless Ignition Conversion

http://www.superstallions.com/tech/e...dis/edis.shtml

Discuss. Make it a sticky if it's worthy.

Megasquirt can use EDIS and totally control the ignition that way. That's what I plan to do with my 4.6/5.4 that I install into the truck.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Call me crazy but I saw it with my own two eyes....There was a 302 with DIS this fella had in his garage out of one of the last of the 302 stangs 94/95 I'm thinking. It was factory, and looked the part. I want to do that if I ever swap to a 302 in the towny.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
        Call me crazy but I saw it with my own two eyes....There was a 302 with DIS this fella had in his garage out of one of the last of the 302 stangs 94/95 I'm thinking. It was factory, and looked the part. I want to do that if I ever swap to a 302 in the towny.
        You're crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post

That's called an EXPLORER motor.

I'm still somewhat kicking myself for not running the EDIS and EEC-V. Would have made putting an M112 on the motor very easy.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I have the explorer motor in my shop right now. I removed the distributorless system to install it into the TC.

Is there that much of a benefit? I wouldn't think so.

Comment

Not only does it look neato, but IIRC you can do neato things with the timing that you can't do with a dizzy ignition.
              Personally Id like to do it so you can hide the coil packs away and really confuse some people that know better! ("where the heck are your plug wires going??") lol...
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Benefit- no distributor sticking up in the middle of the motor. Makes it much easier to toss a big eaton blower on top of the intake and not have to worry about offsetting the blower to clear the dist!

Comment

But as far as I can tell for your basic Joe there is no real major benefit.
                  Yes I agree it is cool and the Blower thing is nice too but it doesn't look worth it for a DD.

Comment

Are there any 5.0 COP setups? One of those might look less messy than the coil pack nonsense. Always though that was uglier than a distributor.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Are there any 5.0 COP setups? One of those might look less messy than the coil pack nonsense. Always though that was uglier than a distributor.

Not that I've seen, and the mounting would probably be a PITA and interfere with everything. Come to think of it, there probably is a kit using LS parts...

Now, on my BMW... The COP conversion was a cheaper alternative than putting new plug wires on it!

Comment

Working...
                      X