tv cable help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tv cable help

You know the black piece that stick up through the throttle lever? The part that the grommet/pin actually holds onto.

The black plastic snapped in half on mine, it isn't tall enough to stick through the throttle arm to be held by the bushing.

I have access to a JY with an 88 MGM with (as far as I know) an intact throttle valve cable/assembly.

Can I get just that plastic piece? The cable itself is fine, it's just the black plastic nubby thing that's supposed to stick up thru the throttle arm is broken....if I could just replace the plastic bits at the throttle body end of the cable, that would be awesome.

apparently the broken part is called the "clevis"

in my attachment, the red square is the snapped off piece, and the black rectangle is what i'm wondering if I can replace as a whole? Except the actual cable of course since it seems to run through the whole thing

I assume I'd have to undo the TV cable somehow but I imagine you good folks are going to chime in and tell me what's what
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

pic
    Attached Files
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

also; if pulling the complete TV cable assembly (from transmission to throttle body) is my only option, what do I need to do to make sure I don't break the thing pulling it off of the car?
      sigpic

Comment

I don't believe you can replace individual parts on that cable. Try and see if the block slides off the end, but I suspect it will hang up on the crimp.

Only thing that holds it down at the trans is a single bolt. It pops off the ball on the TV lever on the trans, and you undo that one bolt. I think its 10mm but don't hold me to that.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Try and see if the block slides off the end, but I suspect it will hang up on the crimp.
          That's what I figured by looking at it, but didn't want to try and remove it in fear of breaking it more.

bolt size doesn't matter so much as does the fact that I can actually get my car working thanks a lot man.....here's hoping the junkyard monkeys will let me go remove it myself.

Does it just pop off the ball like the throttle cable does on the TB? That would be most convenient.

Do you happen to know if there are any brackets etc that it attaches to between the throttle bracket and transmission? Looking at a picture of a Mustang cable, it seems like it only mounts at either end and nothing in the middle.

I'm assuming since it's a sheath type cable then the only adjustment that matters will be once it's hooked up and I set my TV cable pressure?
          Last edited by 1990LTD; 10-11-2010, 06:02 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

I think you'll have to pull the entire TV cable from the parts car. But it's easy, the attachment underneath just pops off like a throttle attachment and then there is one small screw or bolt. On the top it's just the two nuts that hold the TV cable and throttle cable braket on, it's behind the EGR spacer, think they are 1/2 inch.? When you put it all back on, use the brass fitting and pin instead of the plastic bushing to hold the TV cable in place at the throttle body.

Comment

I had it apart to put my HO upper intake/egr/tb on, ended up snapping 2 of the TINY red/white vac lines going to the thing that's attached to the plenum. The things were so brittle they just cracked clean in two....seeing as how I don't know what they're for I thought I might run that past you guys as well. what are they, and can I just cap the vac lines temporarily? I'm hoping the parts car has intact hoses that I could use.

it has been a good day. yep.

tomorrow I'm gonna get the entire cable from the partsmobile.....thanks for the help guys! gadget/mc91, you rock.
              sigpic

Comment

FWIW the red/white lines that split were running to something that was mounted on the upper plenum...rather, two somethings. There's a wiring harness and two vac lines coming off of each of them. I haven't a fucking clue what these things are, though, which is why I'm describing them like a 7 year old.
                sigpic

Comment

The single solenoid with the red and green is the egr vacuum regulator (EVR) the other two are for thermactor air diverter (TAD) and thermactor air bypass TAB), aka smog pump bullshit. Get some small vac hose and splice the busted stuff back together.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

is there anything about these cars that you don't know?
                    sigpic

Comment

...also, since I've got the green vac line to the EGR valve (the circular guy on the front of the spacer I think) plugged (and no EGR functions as a result I believe), and I'm in the process of removing all of the smog BS..could I trace these tiny hoses back to their source and cap them there? Or would I be best off just repairing the broken hoses and not touching them ever again?
                      sigpic

Comment

If you don't want smog/egr, you can take those three solenoids attached to the upper and everything attached to them, and chuck it in the trash. They should all have a common vacuum source, just make sure that's plugged.
                        Keep an eye out for the single red line going to the fuel pressure regulator (round thing attached to the fuel rail) that one's important
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                          If you don't want smog/egr, you can take those three solenoids attached to the upper and everything attached to them, and chuck it in the trash. They should all have a common vacuum source, just make sure that's plugged.
                          Keep an eye out for the single red line going to the fuel pressure regulator (round thing attached to the fuel rail) that one's important

It's that easy? I don't need any emissions gear. Are you talking about the 2 solenoids on the back of the plenum and the 1 on the front?

I don't care much about throwing codes out, but I don't want a CEL. Will disconnecting any of these permanently give me a CEL?

I guess the issue at this point it's an issue of figuring out where to hang those stupid wiring harnesses when the solenoids are gone bye-bye.

thanks man.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hmmmm... forgot about the CEL...
                            I think as long has you have the EGR valve position (EVP) sensor plugged in (its part of the EGR valve itself) or 'fooled' it won't come on.
                            You could try just unplugging the solenoids and see what happens light-wise for now.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

will do! thanks Pete. I'll leave the EGR valve as is with the wiring still attached and green vac line plugged up. Gonna try tracing the broken vac lines back to their source and cap them, and unplug the wiring harnesses from the two solenoids on the back of the plenum and see if my computer wants to flash lights at me. All the while, making sure to leave the FPR (single red) hose unmolested.

It didn't give me any lights after disabling the smog pump so I don't imagine it'll give a crap about the EGR. I'll report my success/failure in the morning after the JY run.

thanks a lot everybody!

anyone know where I'll end up after tracing them to their source? I saw someone mention that they've likely got a common vacuum source.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X