coolant bypassing EGR spacer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant bypassing EGR spacer?

Can you bypass the lopo EGR spacer with coolant? I recall reading somewhere that on exploder motors you can bypass it without incident, just wanted to check to see.

I can only assume that the two hoses are an in and output for coolant, but I don't know which is which or where they run.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

I guess a second part to my question would be: what path does the coolant take in these cars?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I believe supply is from the engine block, return is to the heater core pipe. Yes, you can bypass it, but you don't get much out of it. I got colder air measured at the air temp sensor in the lower intake, but I didn't notice any difference in how the car ran.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thanks man. Not seeking any real performance gains from it, I just wanted to clean the engine bay up a bit. Doesn't seem to have much use but I suppose it would leave me with two open coolant ports on my EGR spacer..I'll probably just put the hoses back where they were.
        sigpic

Comment

the spacer doesn't feel any hotter to the touch without having coolant running to it. i just cut a small piece of hose and stuck it on both ports on the spacer so nothing could get in there. ran new hose from wherever the hell the original ones were, I couldn't tell what the parts were.
          Last edited by 1990LTD; 10-26-2010, 02:09 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Coolant isn't supplied to the EGR spacer to cool it...it's to aid in engine warm-up, and PRIMARILY prevent throttle shaft icing in cold climates....I use vacuum caps on the nipples of the EGR spacer to finish it off.
            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
              Coolant isn't supplied to the EGR spacer to cool it...it's to aid in engine warm-up, and PRIMARILY prevent throttle shaft icing in cold climates....I use vacuum caps on the nipples of the EGR spacer to finish it off.
              winner! Its fairly easy to prove too, just check the resistance at the ACT with and without the cooler plumbed in under the same driving conditions. I believe I measured about 15 degrees cooler without the coolant hooked up.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, it's not much...people forget that there is still hot exhaust gas circulating through their intake from top to bottom and side to side.

I've always ditched mine just because I didn't like the idea of coolant potentially getting sucked into the motor if the gasket deteriorated....and anybody who's pulled an EGR spacer that has had the bypass hoses hooked up for the life of the car, knows how much it sucks because the 4 studs in the intake corrode inside the EGR spacer.
                '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

yeah. When I first did the HO in my car, it leaked coolant into the intake from that spacer. I thought the head gasket hadn't sealed or something till I noticed te spray of coolant. Bypassed it and haven't run it since.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
                    Yeah, it's not much...people forget that there is still hot exhaust gas circulating through their intake from top to bottom and side to side.

I've always ditched mine just because I didn't like the idea of coolant potentially getting sucked into the motor if the gasket deteriorated....and anybody who's pulled an EGR spacer that has had the bypass hoses hooked up for the life of the car, knows how much it sucks because the 4 studs in the intake corrode inside the EGR spacer.

MOST people have hot exhaust gas circulating
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X