What the heck I'm I doing wrong now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the heck I'm I doing wrong now!

Ok, pulled a Marauder style air box and zip tube from an 05 CV/PI.

Then when I go to install it on a 97CV the zip tube isn't long enough, it's about

an inch or even less too short. What's wrong? where did I screw up?

Already knew the mass air sensor location would be a problem, but didn't

expect this!

The Marauder air box is actually bigger. That's why it's a Marauder airbox mod, not a 05cvpi airbox. The Marauder airbox will give you that extra 1" or so. Sorry mang.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I wish I could get an extra inch or two.

And Ryan, I must argue with you here. From the sounds of this poor mans problem it seems as if the Marauder airbox is actually smaller, and the cvpi air box will give him that extra bit of confidence.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
        The Marauder air box is actually bigger. That's why it's a Marauder airbox mod, not a 05cvpi airbox. The Marauder airbox will give you that extra 1" or so. Sorry mang.

-ryan s.

OK, let me understand this, the Marauder style zip tube and air box that fit perfectly on the 05 PI Vic. Will not work when installed on a 97 CV because the TB is just a bit further back, in, out?

I installed this same air box and zip tube on a 91CV and everything fits. You would think if there was going to be a problem it would be with the 91 and not the 97.

Whats the fix?, Is there a fix? some other PI tube that may be that inch longer?

Comment

The 05 CVPI has a 05 CVPI zip tube. Marauders did not come with zip tubes.
          The air box is from a 05 CVPI. Which is not a Marauder air box. Marauder air boxes come from Marauders. They are larger (longer) than a 05 CVPI air box, which will make up for the needed space. Thats why, when you do the MZT mod (Marauder air box, Zip tube, Tune), you need a Marauder air box.

Unfortunately, I just gave mine to Scott, so can't go compare anything.

Dave, MC91,
          That, gentleman, is my statement. Take what you may. No insults intended. If you will, lads, join me at the bar, where we can raise a glass of the finest Jameson, and continue the conversation.

If i am off my rocker, or incorrect, let me know. We all work to provide the best , true data here on GMN.

-ryan s.
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

OK, What I can' seem to understand is if the air tube and air box both came from an 05 CVPI, with a 4.6 then why doesn't it fit on a 97 CV with a 4.6? Same tube, same air box.

All I'm trying to do is use the bigger 05 air box and the 05 tube, and not trying to mismatch any parts, you would think it's a simple bolt in.

Whether the tube and air box from the 05 PI is the same size of the Marauder parts or not doesn't matter as long as I'm not trying to mix and match parts, right?

So, what I'm I not seeing here?

Comment

OK, I have finally have seen the light and realized what I did wrong! Won't happen again!

Thanks guys!

Comment

What happened? I would like to know so we don't have this confusion again. Thanks mang!!

-ryan s.
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                  What happened? I would like to know so we don't have this confusion again. Thanks mang!!

-ryan s.
                  OK, this is what I found out and I believe it's correct.

You can use a Marauder or 04+ CVPI airbox on any older panther
                  and it will work, even with the 5.0's except CFI cars. But you must use the 04+
                  CVPI zip tube. The Marauder tube won't work and neither will your original zip tube.
                  You can also use an 05+ civilian airbox with the 04+ CVPI tube, as this airbox
                  is tapered to accept the larger 80MM zip tube from the 04+ CVPI's. Yet this airbox retains the 70MM MAF found on civilian panthers.

Of course this does not take into consideration the different MAF sensors and their different locations. And it also does not consider the location of the
                  IAT sensor. All this has to be worked out on a case by case basis, depending on what you want.

Comment

So using the Marauder zip tube is the error? noted.

I found out that a 5.0 fox air tube is big enough to fit the CVPI box (and doesn't have any vent/breather lines to plug off), I'll find out if its long enough to work as soon as Nate mails me the bottom piece of the box... lol
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Thanks mang!!

The Marauder doesn't have a zip tube. Plus, it's oblonged to accomidate the dual 62mm throttle body.
                      You just have to use the 04+ cvpi zip tube.

word.

-ryan s.
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Working...
                      X