Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yeah, another exhaust combo thread. deal with it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, another exhaust combo thread. deal with it.

framework:

Somewhat tight budget (would like to keep it under 600ish for parts)
    Sound and smog are both a concern. A lack of muffling or de-emissioning can both get me towed under "street racing" laws here. Air pump must be there too.
    No drone on the highway, medium volume under heavy throttle
    best power possible within those restrictions without custom fabrication

351W swap headers
    mint original 90 mustang H-pipe including cats and air tubes
    mufflers to fit (18 inch offset/offset? Magnaflows?)
    Impala tails
    MKVII O2 sensors

What muffler size do I need? Is there anything way off about that setup? Will the h-pipe be a big restriction point? Am I missing anything that should be bashing me over the head with the weight of it's own obviousness?
    It's expensive, but does anyone have any experience/knowledge of these?
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17156/

I'm about to finally have some money to blow on the car, and I wanna get it right.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

What size pipe is a stock H-pipe??

Why not go aftermarket with-cats H-pipe?

You're going to need something for mid-pipes, yes on the offset/offset, and you need whatever size muffler you need to mate to whatever size tailpipes and mid-pipes you get.
    And I wouldn't like the idea of a flapper valve inside my muffler...

I think the size/length of the tailpipes and size of any trumpet shaped tips has the most to do with how loud its going to be...
    You cant hear mine idling inside the car, and its not loud enough to offend when she's going somewhere.
    Last edited by 85crownHPP; 10-18-2010, 10:22 PM.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
      What size pipe is a stock H-pipe??

Why not go aftermarket with-cats H-pipe?
      You're going to need something for mid-pipes, yes on the offset/offset, and you need whatever size muffler you need to mate to whatever size tailpipes and mid-pipes you get.
      stock fox body, I have no idea and was sorta hoping to find out (should have been clearer) but I am 99% sure I have 2 inch right now, factory or stock replacements.

Aftermarket catted H-pipes seem to be 400-600 dollars here. If I'm not gonna completely torpedo my performance, I'd like to turn that into 140ish by going with the h-pipe a guy has for sale. Before someone asks, I'm not going with what I have now because I have multiple small un-findable leaks and it's ancient.

Help me out here, what would I need for mid pipes?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Whaaaaat I swear I saw catted H-pipes on eBay for under 300...!

Some folks used fox mid pipes with extensions, some have used the Walker 43281 2 1/4" pipes, or whatever its 2 1/2" equivalent is.

Really the stock stuff shouldn't hurt you too bad. If an Impala SS can make 200 some horsepower out of 2" tailpipes, so can we.

It's hard to do "budget" and "right" in the same go. You can always upgrade later too.
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Measure the OD of the pipe, that will be the size. Probably 2.25" for the Mustang H pipe though as the walker midpipes I have seen listed on here are 2.25" as well.

Doing it right and the easy way would be this...

- Find out what size the H pipe is, buy mufflers to fit.
          - Buy Impala tails and weld the outlets of the mufflers to them after they are installed.
          - Install the catted H pipe and hook up the air tubes
          - Drive to a shop and have the remainder of the pipe bent and installed.
          1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
          1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
          1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
          1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

[QUOTE=85crownHPP;578485]Whaaaaat I swear I saw catted H-pipes on eBay for under 300...![quote]

I have too, but shipping is ridiculous to Canada. Shipping + duty + exchange rate brings it over 400 pretty quickly.

Some folks used fox mid pipes with extensions, some have used the Walker 43281 2 1/4" pipes, or whatever its 2 1/2" equivalent is.
            This is good to know. given that, I may just buy everything but the tips from the guy with the mustang H-pipe.

Really the stock stuff shouldn't hurt you too bad. If an Impala SS can make 200 some horsepower out of 2" tailpipes, so can we.

It's hard to do "budget" and "right" in the same go. You can always upgrade later too.
            fair enough, but my plans are for a bit more than 200hp, and I'd prefer to not have to rip into new and nearly impossible to re-sell stuff once heads, cam, etc. are done. Flow-through 2 1/4 inch mufflers along with the Walker 2 1/2 impale tails and the stuff discussed here should support plenty though.

I wouldn't be so anal about getting the package right, but I don't have anywhere better than an increasingly cold and dark driveway to test-fit stuff, and I know most of the original hardware is going to fight whoever touches it every step of the way. Having my ride to work held at the exhaust shop because it costs 200 bucks in random parts or labour that I don't have would be a bit of an issue.

Comment

i use mustang 2.5" midpipes and weld extension pipe to them.......2.5" ofset ofset mufflers

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

the stock H-pipe might be a bit tight if you are planning for more towards 300 HP then
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks mangs.

Revised plan:

BBK 351 swap headers
                  Stock mustang H-pipe (but plan to upgrade around the time heads, cam, whatever go in)
                  Mustang 2.5 midpipes
                  whatever extension shop needs to make the next 2 fit right
                  Mufflers 2.5 off/off length doesn't matter within reason
                  Impala 2.5 tails

Comment

Muffler suggestions:

1. Flowmaster Delta 50 series.

2. Walker Dynomax Super Hemi Turbo (longer version).

Or get the Magnaflows.

Just a note, none of these three will last more than a few years with cats in front of them under moderate to heavy daily driving. The only long-lasting muffler (that will last for any length of time after catalytic convertors) that springs to mind is a Borla.

Comment

Why won't they last with cats in front of them?

I like my Magnaflows without converters, FWIW
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                        Why won't they last with cats in front of them?

I like my Magnaflows without converters, FWIW
                        Because, in addition to converting spent gases to carbon dioxide and water....they also spew out a bit of sulfuric acid (I hope that's teh correct type, I've slept since then), but of course, that's the dirty little secret of catalytic convertors.....

Comment

Right-o. Unburnt hydrocarbons ftw.
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                            Muffler suggestions:

Or get the Magnaflows.

Just a note, none of these three will last more than a few years with cats in front of them under moderate to heavy daily driving. The only long-lasting muffler (that will last for any length of time after catalytic convertors) that springs to mind is a Borla.
                            So Stainless will but Stainless won't last in short?
                            1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                            1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                            1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                            1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                              Muffler suggestions:

Or get the Magnaflows.

Regular Walkers are more nicer to the ears.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X