got to drive a 79 town car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got to drive a 79 town car

Only got to drive for a couple of minutes but a buddy had his '79 out last night. Only car I've ever driven that makes mine feel like a go cart when I get back in it.

length difference

the 400 barely turns 1200rpm to get you down the street at a respectable speed. I wouldn't wanna gas the thing up but it sure drove nice. Effortless power, but racing it would be kind of entertaining
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Dark pics= fail. Nice car though I love the old land yachts.

Comment

I had a 79 Town Coupe. It really was a barge. I enjoyed it though. The 400 really wasn't that powerful. I had duals put on it and it was a bit snappier. Eventually it had practically no oil pressure at idle in drive. Drove it for 30K miles like that and still ran when I junked it.

A Nissan Altima rear ended me pretty good in that car. The Nissan was a total loss, airbags blown, fluid everywhere, the hood pushed up to the windshield, etc. He pushed my bumper in about an inch. The cop on the scene asked what did he hit?
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yeah, it was like 3 A.M and I was out for a cruise when I ran into him. No camera except my cell. Here's his pic of his car;

It's all stock except the straight pipes (no H) and glass packs.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Nice car!

I owned a 79 4 door briefly, the grille got to my destination 5 minutes before I did

It was a 400, I drove it from Buffalo to Cleveland, averaged 10

Pete

[edit: summit has 28 spline ford racing trac locs on sale for $195]
          Originally posted by gadget73
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

It was big enough that when I took a ride in the back seat, I couldn't reach the driver if I wanted to

Earlier in the day I saw the guy that owns the barge coming out of the mall parking lot stopped at a red light. Turned left when the light went green, he couldn't have been doing more than 10-20kph and it looked like it was ready to lift the outside tires. Can you say body roll?
            sigpic

Comment

I think this might be the only carbureted car I've ever driven. A first!
              sigpic

Comment

That's a Collector's Series, top of the line in 1979. I always liked those, no opera windows. The turbines should be color-keyed blue to match the paint. This model only came in two colors the navy pictured above and white.
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Comment

oh yeah? Didn't know that. I've never seen a back seat as large as the one on this car...full size OEM spare in the trunk and about enough room for a family of 4
                  sigpic

Comment

The 400 is a pig in stock form. Its a nice car, but if I owned one, it would either have to get some work done to the 400, or be ganked in favor of a 460. The suspension on those is definitely not nimble at all. They float down the road, but do not expect to go around a corner at any kind of speed. The chassis is basically a bigger form of the Torino with its goofy single point control arm and the strut rods and all that BS.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                      That's a Collector's Series, top of the line in 1979. I always liked those, no opera windows. The turbines should be color-keyed blue to match the paint. This model only came in two colors the navy pictured above and white.
                      I know a guy here that owns a blue CS model. It's in showroom condition! There are old pics of it in the Multi-media forum that I took last summer when he brought it to the Home Depot car show.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        The 400 is a pig in stock form.
                        Mine was basically stock with duals running no H pipe. I would say that it moved along about the same as my 89 TC with factory duals.
                        Past Panthers

Comment

and how much more fuel was it burning though? I'd actually like to soup up a 400 a bit in one of those cars. I know they can perform, but I suspect that a warmed over 400 would not only have more power, but be better on fuel too.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I got a 76 Gran Torino with a warmed up 400. Runs strong. Lots of torque. Longest stroke of any Ford motor, even 460.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              and how much more fuel was it burning though? I'd actually like to soup up a 400 a bit in one of those cars. I know they can perform, but I suspect that a warmed over 400 would not only have more power, but be better on fuel too.
                              It was terrible on gas. 9-10 was not uncommon. Once in a while it could settle in at 14 or so on a decent highway run at 65-70. This was in 97-98 and gas was cheap then. My 89 TC (in much better shape) blew it away in terms of gas mileage.
                              Past Panthers

Comment

Working...
                              X