rear sway bar ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear sway bar ?

Ok.. so I have received a rear sway bar and am going to install it on my wagon. But I have a few questions that I cannot seem to locate here in the forum.

How does the rear bar install? I have not looked for the installation location as of yet.. just got the bar last night and came to work today. I am familiar with the rear.. I put new springs and shocks back there. But can only imagine the front sway bar setup.

The front of course has bushings / brackets and end links. Does the rear have any bushings / brackets? As I look at it there are four bolts with spacers (two per side) and that looks like it? Does it just secure with these and that holds it up and in place? Once I look this may be obvious.. but does the bar face towards the front of the car or the rear?

Like I said.. it may be that this is completely obvious once I get under there this weekend.

Thank you
    Mike J.
    1990 Country Squire LX .... Rolling around 220k miles Man is she Sweet to me.
    1976 Lincoln Continental .... 55k miles and loaded with Smiles !!!
    1990 LTD Crown Victoria Wagon .... "Fresh" project

A parking lot \ barn full of Non-GMN related vehicles.

No bushings. The factory-style rear bar bolts directly to the lower control arms, and the spacer sleeves go inside the control arms so that they don't get crushed when you snug down the bolts.

As for where to mount, AFAIK all or nearly all vehicles came from the factory with predrilled swaybar holes on the rear LCAs, so if yours is one of those, just use the existing holes. Supposedly if using a police swaybar you'll need to bend down the inner lip on the control arm for clearance (I've not done this myself, as my wagon got an aftermarket rear bar which installs differently), but that's it.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Not all cars had the holes, some only had one set. So some drilling might need to be done.

Here is the thread on installing the bar. (yay search)
      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=22719
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
        Here is the thread on installing the bar. (yay search)
        http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=22719

Killer link.. I think my search is broke ... I didn't see this. But Now I think I'm all set. I will be working on it tomorrow.

The pictures in there now show me all I could not image. I get it and am ready to move forward.

Thank you
        Mike J.
        1990 Country Squire LX .... Rolling around 220k miles Man is she Sweet to me.
        1976 Lincoln Continental .... 55k miles and loaded with Smiles !!!
        1990 LTD Crown Victoria Wagon .... "Fresh" project

A parking lot \ barn full of Non-GMN related vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike J. View Post
          Ok.. so I have received a rear sway bar and am going to install it on my wagon. But I have a few questions that I cannot seem to locate here in the forum.

How does the rear bar install? I have not looked for the installation location as of yet.. just got the bar last night and came to work today. I am familiar with the rear.. I put new springs and shocks back there. But can only imagine the front sway bar setup.

The front of course has bushings / brackets and end links. Does the rear have any bushings / brackets? As I look at it there are four bolts with spacers (two per side) and that looks like it? Does it just secure with these and that holds it up and in place? Once I look this may be obvious.. but does the bar face towards the front of the car or the rear?

Like I said.. it may be that this is completely obvious once I get under there this weekend.

Thank you
          Mike J.
          The spacers you put inside the lower control arms aren't going to fit as snug as they should because the police lower control arms are a thicker metal than the stock ones. This is not a problem, just get some washers from a hardware store of the proper size and thickness to take up the slack. I would also recommend adding lock washers to the nuts...

Comment

Originally posted by ford man View Post
            The spacers you put inside the lower control arms aren't going to fit as snug as they should because the police lower control arms are a thicker metal than the stock ones. This is not a problem, just get some washers from a hardware store of the proper size and thickness to take up the slack. I would also recommend adding lock washers to the nuts...

I've never had that problem with any one of the bars I've installed. I just tighten the swaybar bolts...
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The bar faces the rear of the car, and it does have an upside-down. It fits upside down, but it looks silly when on the ground.

It should look like this with the car on the ground.

If you put it upside down, the bit in the middle will be up in the middle of the diff cover.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey all, this may be my first post.... so
                I have worked at the St. Thomas assembly plant for 32+ years mostly in new vehicle repair in the chassis and frame line areas. As my memory serves me , I recall we had two LCAs. The single hole standard arm for base vehicles and the two hole heavy duty arm for police, trailer tow, handling packages and wagons.Rear stabilizer bars consisted of a standard and a police model. Only PIs received the police model[go figuire]. Wagons on the hand never ever received a rear stabilizer bar, why I do not know, although my 88wagon came from the factory with a standard bar. I wonder how that happened?
                At any rate please feel free to ask any questions on assembly build
                alon
                sigpic
                79 Bronco XLT 129000kms
                88 LTD Crown Victoria wagon LX 223000kms
                03 Expedition XLT 256000kms
                06 Escape XLT 188000kms
                09 Focus SE 132000kms
                13Escape SEL 63000kms

Comment

Originally posted by alon View Post
                  I have worked at the St. Thomas assembly plant for 32+ years mostly in new vehicle repair in the chassis and frame line areas. As my memory serves me , I recall we had two LCAs. The single hole standard arm for base vehicles and the two hole heavy duty arm for police, trailer tow, handling packages and wagons.Rear stabilizer bars consisted of a standard and a police model. Only PIs received the police model[go figuire]. Wagons on the hand never ever received a rear stabilizer bar, why I do not know, although my 88wagon came from the factory with a standard bar. I wonder how that happened?
                  alon
                  interesting. Mine had 2 holes.
                  Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                  New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

alon

I think you're gonna be real popular here.
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

We started to build CVs and GMs for the 84 model year. It is possible that earlier model years were different. As a model progresses over the years engineering changes are made on a regular basis. Just a thought .
                      alon
                      sigpic
                      79 Bronco XLT 129000kms
                      88 LTD Crown Victoria wagon LX 223000kms
                      03 Expedition XLT 256000kms
                      06 Escape XLT 188000kms
                      09 Focus SE 132000kms
                      13Escape SEL 63000kms

Comment

My Towncar had 2 holes, but it was a tow package car. Didn't come with a bar though, the one you barely see is off a police car.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

alon
                          Hello friend. Welcome to GMN, you must share with us your stories of your time at the St. Thomas assembly plant!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            Hello friend. Welcome to GMN, you must share with us your stories of your time at the St. Thomas assembly plant!!!
                            x2
                            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                            1994 MGM GS Montigua
                            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                              I've never had that problem with any one of the bars I've installed. I just tighten the swaybar bolts...
                              Yeah, I had an air gap when I put the spacers in my control arms. The police car I pirated the sway bar from; the spacers were real snug in the control arm with no play whatsoever... So when I installed my sway bar I replicated that snug fit by adding a washer to each spacer. My idea was to keep the control arms as rigid as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X