best readily available 302 to start with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best readily available 302 to start with

I figure if I'm going to restore the car, I should spend some time making it go fast.

I want to keep it fuel injected, 302 block and it's probably going to get stroked to 331. Going to keep it NA as well.

What's the best motor to start with? Almost everything on it will likely be replaced with aftermarket - intake, exhaust, maybe heads. I know I'll need a Panther oil pan and I will almost definitely need to go mass air.

I am leaning towards an exploder motor but I don't know lots about them, I've just read a bit here and there on here.

give me your thoughts on my build idea. I wanna hear what you would do to build a complete fuel injected 302 motor to make my P72 go fast. It's gonna have 3.55s behind it, FWIW. I'm keeping the AOD or a reasonable facsimile.

criteria:
    - reasonable budget (something a working mechanic could save his pennies for)
    - 302, i would like to stroke it to 331
    - fuel injected
    - cobra cam (It's the cam I've got now, I'm open to something else but this is basically a HO cam with more lift so i'm fine with it unless you've got something better in mind?)
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 10-25-2010, 03:52 AM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

actually it doesn't need to be 302, a 351 would be quite at home under my hood. i actually think there's a bare 351w block for sale locally CHEAP. what should i find out about it to know whether or not it's a worthy candidate?

I'd be sold on the 351 if I could keep fuel injection. CAn I?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

my best combo sofar is just a stock explorer motor, headers because of the funky port designs. it's already got good intakes and good heads. i'd like to get a stroker kit and get it out to 331. i don't know what i would use for a computer. suggestions? thoughts? anything at all? i guess the best thing would be a tweecable computer so i can actually tell it what i've done to the motor
      Last edited by 1990LTD; 10-25-2010, 04:19 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

simple...

the one you already have.
        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

If you are going 331...this where you should get a shortblock.

http://www.fordstrokers.com/

If you are staying 302, I would suggest Explorer motor.

EFI 351 is simple, but expensive. Get a 94 up 351 roller block, and go with the F150 Lightning Intake Manifold. Fits under the stock hood and you still get EFI. Plus it has the same firing order as an HO 302 so you can put a mustang cam in it (my future build is getting either an XE264 or an XE270, most likely the 264).

The third option is what I'm doing eventually.
          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

96 explorer 302

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
              I want to keep it fuel injected, 302 block and it's probably going to get stroked to 331. Going to keep it NA as well.

What's the best motor to start with? Almost everything on it will likely be replaced with aftermarket - intake, exhaust, maybe heads. I know I'll need a Panther oil pan and I will almost definitely need to go mass air.
              The Cobra motor got more lift from its 1.7 rockers. If you want a sleeper cam, use an HO cam with 1.7 rockers. The HO cam is more agressive. Don't spend a single penny on a different block. Use the block you have and spend the cash on your rotating assembly and a set of aftermarket aluminum heads. Forget about any factory head including Explorer heads. TFS Twisted Wedge heads can run standard pistons with an HO cam and 1.7 rockers. The HO cam is good enough to put a Mustang into the 11s when dressed out in NMRA Factory Stock configuration.

Comment

I was really, really amazed at the condition of the heads when I had the valve covers off. The old guy must have changed his oil religiously. I think this engine is actually in pretty good shape so it wouldn't be a bad starting point either.

I supposed pulling it out of the car to work on it would be just as easy.
                sigpic

Comment

for a cam if your going aftermarket i would look into a comp cam 35-512-8 its very much a stocker on steroids it is a xe258 but without the high lift
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

If you are doing a stroker you will be replacing the entire rotating assembly anyway, so as long as it's a roller block 86-and newer they are all the same. Also if you are doing a stroker don't even think about using stock heads. Do yourself a favor and invest in a good head/intake combo and let that sucker breathe.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
                      If you are going 331...this where you should get a shortblock.

http://www.fordstrokers.com/

If you are staying 302, I would suggest Explorer motor.

EFI 351 is simple, but expensive. Get a 94 up 351 roller block, and go with the F150 Lightning Intake Manifold. Fits under the stock hood and you still get EFI. Plus it has the same firing order as an HO 302 so you can put a mustang cam in it (my future build is getting either an XE264 or an XE270, most likely the 264).

The third option is what I'm doing eventually.

I was going to say, get a shortblock from FordStrokers, and heads and cam from Larry's nemesis, and few people on this site will be able to get near you.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

If you're replacing everything, use the motor in the car. The blocks are all basically the same after 86. If you want a stroker, just buy the shortblock from someone who sells them. It would likely be cheaper and safer to do that then to have all the machine work done locally.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hmm...300hp or so with an explorer motor and headers, right? seems like i could buy a dozen of them for the price of a shortblock anywhere
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                            hmm...300hp or so with an explorer motor and headers, right? seems like i could buy a dozen of them for the price of a shortblock anywhere
                            Not (300HP) with a factory engine and HO or Cobra cam......

Comment

i'm just remembering the build that merc91 did...i forgot he used an aftermarket cam
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X