Just lost my rear brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just lost my rear brakes

Replaced the master cylinder in my 78 LTD about two months ago.

All was fine till yesterday. I stopped in front of the house, did a little burnout and than tried to park the car. I pulled down the driveway and set the parking brake and I kept rolling forward. So I chocked the wheels instead.

Went to work and jabbed the brakes hard in the gravel parking lot and low and behold only the fronts are working.

Popped the cap of the master cylinder and the front chamber (the smaller one) was almost completely empty. This shouldnt have any effect on the parking brake though which isnt working. I gather I have to replace my wheel cylinders...but why doestnt the parking brake work now? I get paid friday and Ill be buying a real jack so I can get her up in the air and check it out.

you probably blew out the rear brake line. And you probably need to free up the adjuster.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

either that or it popped a cylinder and now the inside of the drum is soaked with fluid, causing the shoes to slip. If the shoes are soaked, they ought to be replaced. Possible the line blew somewhere else though, and the shoes just need adjusting anyway.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
        you probably blew out the rear brake line. And you probably need to free up the adjuster.

The adjuster...I completely forgot about that thing.

I think I needed brakes anyway cause it sounded like metal on metal for a while...and I know I shouldve checked the shoes, but when I had the drums off last year inspecting everything they looked great and nothing was leaking. Ive only driven it about 800 miles since than. If I had had the money...I wouldve replaced them when I started hearing a noise...

Ill crawl under there tomorrow and check all my lines. Id check the shoes, but my jack is broke (little pos one from walmart) Im gonna get a new one friday and ill try to take a look at it than. Thanks to both of yall.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          either that or it popped a cylinder and now the inside of the drum is soaked with fluid, causing the shoes to slip. If the shoes are soaked, they ought to be replaced. Possible the line blew somewhere else though, and the shoes just need adjusting anyway.
          When the wheel cylinders on my '84 6000 were leaking they didn't slip... They locked before the front. True story, my dad will back me on it as he was the one that almost wound up in a river due to that.
          1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
          1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
          1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
          1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

wheel cylinders either leak or sieze up.....most times i find one half of the wheel cyl is siezed up and the other half is dripping......check the steel brake lines, all of them, and you might want to replace all the brake hoses if they are 32 years old.
            you probably have a rust ridge on the brake drums, remove them so you can remove and install the drums easier next time, make sure the adjusters are free also, and replace the brake shoes if they are contaminated with fluid or worn out

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Well guys...I meant to post this before. I got some rear tires on friday, and while they were swapping the tires I pulled the drums and checked the brakes. The passenger side is surprisingly ok...but the drivers is jsut garbage. Leaking cylinder and the pads are GONE. But otherwise, the drums seam to be in good shape.

So, a set of brakes and wheel cylinders are hopefully getting done tomorrow. If not, than saturday.

Im curious as to why the passenger rear tire always burns in a burnout using an open diff. Is it due to the longer distance from the master cylinder theres less pressure? Or is it a direction of the gears type thing? cause If I punch it turning right...itll smoke the tire. Turning left...and punching it just makes me want to fishtail. This is especially true on wet roads...like tonight.

Forgot to mention the lines themselves look ok. I was told they were replaced right before the car was parked...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                Im curious as to why the passenger rear tire always burns in a burnout using an open diff. Is it due to the longer distance from the master cylinder theres less pressure? Or is it a direction of the gears type thing? cause If I punch it turning right...itll smoke the tire. Turning left...and punching it just makes me want to fishtail. This is especially true on wet roads...like tonight.
                when turning right from a stop at WOT the weight of the car is shifting to the drivers side. maybe it wont do it turning left because your weight is on that side, just a guess.
                1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                1994 MGM GS Montigua
                2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

you can burn the drivers side tire in reverse (ask me how I know). It's the nature of the open diff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

its just how they are. Every vehicle I've ever seen with an open diff smokes the passenger tire in forward or the driver's side in reverse. Unless of course the carrier fails in a particular way, causing you to have what amounts to a spool. then it just cooks both tires, but one hops and chirps going around turns.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If traction is perfectly equal at both wheels it'll light up both tires in an open diff
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Huh...yeah I noticed that it burns the drivers side in reverse...

Guess it is just the nature of the beast. Thanks guys for helping me understand that.

Comment

Feel free to create a thread for your car in the Reader's Rides forum.
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Ah yes...the readers rides forum. I will eventually. Need to get ALOT better pictures.

Comment

Oh yeah. Finally got the brakes fixed today. It stops so much shorter and its just better.

Also found out that my passenger side parking brake wasnt hooked up at all. It is now. So everything is back to normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X