aod tv cable/rod help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aod tv cable/rod help

im working on a 83 gm IT HAD CFI it is now carbed with a eddy 1406 and a tranny out of a 88 gm I was certain I had a cable tv setup so i ordered the lokar cable kit because i read the stock one didnt work... well in my parts box from the cfi i found a rod that looks like a kick down lever and no tv cable so should I just pretend I never found the rod and install the lokar kit

Yes, the rod won't work.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

so go ahead with the lokar kit?

Comment

Yes
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

thanks guys i hope to have it running today Thursday (BEEN SITTING FOR 5 YEARS )

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
            Yes, the rod won't work.
            Not that it's necessarily a good idea, but wouldn't a rod work OK with a kickdown-rod adapter?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Not that it's necessarily a good idea, but wouldn't a rod work OK with a kickdown-rod adapter?
              I tried using one with a Holley 600cfm and a Autolite 4100, both with the Ford Kickdown lever. Neither worked. The kickdown lever doesn't begin to move until you are well into the throttle. I couldn't get the excess to adjust out completely and still have a throttle that opened fully.

The SEFI and aftermarket kits pull the cable, CFI and Carb push the rod back and it all works with the same lever on the trans through some engineering marvel. A rod designed to push back won't work using the aftermarket carb mounting tab that must pull forward. Maybe it's possible to bend the rod to get it to work, but I didn't try that.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Interesting. I actually have an extension on my C4 kickdown rod so that it'll engage sometime before WOT.

Comment

i got the car started and timed i used 12deg advance as a starting point sounds great. Im now trying to figure out the throttle linkage has a performer intake i also have the lokar tv cable/throttle bracket i think they want you to buy there throttle linkage kit too it seems the bracket is in the way of the stock throttle setup. What am I missing?

Comment

The Performer 289 intake is retarded with respect to its mounting holes; the only time I haven't had to make my own extra bracket to mount the stock throttle cable bracket was when I used a Lokar cable and carb-mount bracket. Don't know about the other 302-compatible Performer intakes.

The Performer 351, I happen to know, has lots of mounting holes and (IIRC) no extra bracket is required, at least without a carb spacer.

Comment

i've seen the rod used already on 2bbl carbs, it can be used, but you have to make sure the geometry is right or you will nuke the trans

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                      X