I Need help\advice with a water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Need help\advice with a water pump

Ok... so here is the story. As a few may have seen from previous posts I recently purchased a 1976 Continental. The car had set since the original owner had passed away in 2005. The car was stored in a barn but was not ran.

So.. I purchased it and have been getting it road worthy. I changed all of the fluids, replaced exhaust manifold gaskets, rebuilt the carb, replaced the vacuum advance and a vacuum tank.

As I have been driving it (only about 50 or so miles so far) I had noticed that the temp was running on the hotter side. Highway cruising produced temps up to the H side of the gauge (yes.. there are no numbers).

So.. I replaced the thermostat first, with no change. I next had the coolant low to check the radiator flow. I was able to see the top of the rows flowing , but it didn't look like the bottom ones were. So I replaced the radiator. Still no change in the temp when driving. I did notice that the fan was slow to spin so I figured the Fan clutch may be bad. So.. if I was to replace the clutch I figured I might as well replace the water pump also.

To make the long story longer.. This is what I found. The back of the water pump.. the part that stays on the block has a hole in it. I have attached some pictures (my first attempt.. l hope it works). The hole is above one of the water circulation ports. I am not sure if this is the cause of my issue or if I can leave it ?

Please take a look and see what you think. The water pump was filled with Sludge... up to that rust line. It was like mud.

here is the car overview... just a quick picture.

with the wagon in the background

I forgot to add.. I had a block test done to see if there was any exhuast gas in the cooling system.. this was before I changed the radiator and the test came back as negative... I wanted to be sure there wasn't a bad head gasket or anything cracked.

Thank you for any advice.

Mike J.
    Last edited by Mike J.; 10-27-2010, 08:21 PM.
    1990 Country Squire LX .... Rolling around 220k miles Man is she Sweet to me.
    1976 Lincoln Continental .... 55k miles and loaded with Smiles !!!
    1990 LTD Crown Victoria Wagon .... "Fresh" project

A parking lot \ barn full of Non-GMN related vehicles.

You need a new timing cover. That looks like a 400? What concerns me most is how that hole got there. It looks almost like a hammer blow or something. The chunk of aluminum thats floating around somewhere is also a concern. If you do remove the timing cover, I'd spring for a new timing chain while in there. You may want to do some research on this, but I seem to recall that some factory timing sets had a built in cam retard, so its possible you can get a performance improvement by using a different set. I'm not 100% certain on the details of this, but I'm sure it must exist out there on the intarwebs.

If the pump had that much gunk in it, I'll pretty well promise you the entire rest of the cooling system is just a crapped up. The block needs a thorough flushing, the rad probably should be flushed again, and at a minimum the heater core needs to be flushed. I'd probably also spring for all new hoses since they're likely either lined with crap, ancient, or both.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hello Gadget,

You are correct.. I just didn't see it until you said it. It was one of those things.. it caught me off guard and I was just missing it. BTW...The engine is a 460 and I found this for sale on 460ford.com

Exactly what I was looking for. I will do a bit more searching and see what I can locate locally before I order.

Thank you for pointing me in the correct direction. What sucks is that I have it apart in my driveway instead of my polebarn ( which is not by my house) so... I need to finish it here before I put it away for the winter.

Once I get it done. I will actually post some pictures under readers rides.

Mike J.

Comment

Do the timing set, all post '72 460s had the retarded cam timing. pre '72 straight up timing set would be a good upgrade while you are in there. '70-'71 429 timing set is the one you want.
        1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
        1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
        1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
        1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Originally posted by 351m View Post
          Do the timing set, all post '72 460s had the retarded cam timing. pre '72 straight up timing set would be a good upgrade while you are in there. '70-'71 429 timing set is the one you want.
          x2 + what gadget said. That earlier timing set will wake that 460 up. BTW when I did the timing cover on my 400 it was a Bitch to put back on because of the alignment dowels in the block. I ended up taking all the bolts out of the oil pan except the back 1/2 ones to lower it enough to finagle the timing cover on then snugged up the pan. Not sure if the 460 is the same way though. That hole in your old timing cover is weird too...

Comment

Is that hole actually hurting anything, though? Seems to me that as long as that cavity is thoroughly sealed when the new pump is installed, it should be okay other than accumulating a little oil between the pump and the timing cover.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

if the 460 pumps are like 302 pumps, it will have a weep hole back there where oil can come out. It may not be major, but I generally dislike oil leaks. Mostly I'd just be worried about how it got there, and where the chunk of metal is. Thats not exactly a normal location on an engine for a hole to randomly appear.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I thought about leaving it... but decided to replace the cover and timing set. I figure I have it apart.. i might as well do it all.

Just think..it all started with me replacing the radiator cap....

Mike J.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  if the 460 pumps are like 302 pumps, it will have a weep hole back there where oil can come out. It may not be major, but I generally dislike oil leaks. Mostly I'd just be worried about how it got there, and where the chunk of metal is. Thats not exactly a normal location on an engine for a hole to randomly appear.
                  Meh, I've ended up with that weep hole RTV'd over before. Now I apply RTV primarily around the actual inlets and outlets.

Comment

what's the deal with retarded cam timing?
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

something related to emissions crap. It robs a lot of power at the expense of being better for the birds or somesuch BS.

Comment

Yeah- the cam retard is built into the sprockets of the timing chain so if you change to a early pre smog non retarded timing chain set you get alot more power.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          something related to emissions crap. It robs a lot of power at the expense of being better for the birds or somesuch BS.
                          Yeah, make it grossly inefficient to make it more efficient. How's that supposed to work?

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                            what's the deal with retarded cam timing?
                            The cam timing is retarded....that's the deal
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                            X