Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

harness to wire in aftermarket stereo (Part # inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

harness to wire in aftermarket stereo (Part # inside)

Just installed a Pioneer head unit into a '91 LTC successfully without rewiring all the speakers.

I used Metra brand wiring harness Part #70-5510.

The wiring for the speakers is easy as can be since it uses the pre-amp outputs. The harness for power and such went as follows.

Position 1: Constant (+), this one was a correct color match.
    Position 2: Ground (-), this one was not a correct color match, however, it IS the factory ground wire and should be used for ground.
    Position 3: Key on (+), this one was also correct.

I didn't use any of the display/dim wires since the Pioneer unit did not have any to match with the harness.

The blue "amp signal wire" from the aftermarket head unit needs to be wired to the blue wire on the Metra harness to activate the factory amp.

If you have an LTC with auto-antenna, you need connect the blue "amp signal wire" from the aftermarket head unit to the blue wire on the Metra harness to activate the factory amp AND the blue w/stripe wire on the Metra harness to activate the auto-antenna.

That is a pretty cool harness if your radio has preamp outs.

What Pioneer radio did you install?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Can't recall the model number. Just got a pic. It's a very nice head unit. Similar to the one in my truck.

Comment

That harness is a nice item. I like how you can still use the factory amp. I remember using an "amp bypass" cable in the trunk as the solution before.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

iv used scotche harness' before for premium sound cars. i never had issues with them.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

The harness Monty posted will actually use the factory amp though. I've wanted to try that setup out. I've also wanted to make a harness that goes the other way to allow use of an aftermarket amp in the trunk without fishing RCA cables through the car. No reason the factory signal wires won't do the job.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the scotche one uses the stock amp too. its a grey flat power connector and a black small square connector that plugs into the speaker/amp side of the harness. iv used them in both my '91 mercs and one in my bros mark VII.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                The harness Monty posted will actually use the factory amp though. I've wanted to try that setup out. I've also wanted to make a harness that goes the other way to allow use of an aftermarket amp in the trunk without fishing RCA cables through the car. No reason the factory signal wires won't do the job.
                I've done that for the speakers only. I took Crutchfield's amp bypass (I wonder if they still make it), cut it in half and created a harness to my amps in the trunk. It worked perfect, and I didn't have to cut a single wire in the car. Behind the dash, I only hooked up the power and ground to the radio but still had to run three set of RCAs (front, rear, sub) from the head to the trunk.

There is no reason you couldn't use the signal wires as well, you would have to solder on some RCA plugs at least at the amp end. On the head unit side you could cut off the RCA outs and hardwire it.
                Last edited by tjc78; 11-04-2010, 09:40 AM.
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                  the scotche one uses the stock amp too. its a grey flat power connector and a black small square connector that plugs into the speaker/amp side of the harness. iv used them in both my '91 mercs and one in my bros mark VII.
                  does it use the speaker connections on the aftermarket stereo, or the preamp connections? You really shoudln't feed speaker level power into the amp. It will tend to make it overload and/or burn up.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

maybe im talking about something else. here is a link to the harness i use. http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/248

Comment

yeah thats speaker level output, not line level like an amp expects. It really ought to be fed off the RCA jacks so it doesn't overdrive the amp.

Comment

Working...
                      X