GT40p, Lincoln Logs and #5 plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GT40p, Lincoln Logs and #5 plug

Does anybody here have this combo with the 1990 Lincoln exhaust manifolds on a GT40p?
    If so how do you change the #5 spark plug?
    I can only get a 1/2" short socket on the plug and with no way to turn it since the plug sticks thru the socket there is still no way to get that one off.

I may have to remove the manifold to get it off. If so do you think I can reuse the gasket since it has not been cranked yet and I just torqued them down yesterday?
    Is this the only way to remove the plug?

One more thing, about the #6 plug. Should I clearance the manifold by the #6 plug by putting a dent in it. I got the old plug out but it looks like it needs more room for the wire. Comments?

Thanks guys

Can you show us a picture?

Comment

I've never touched a car with that combo, but something in the back of my mind says try a plain old open ended wrench.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

pm 86vicky......he's got lincoln logs and p heads

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'd try an open end wrench too, even though, like johnunit, I've never seen this combo.

I put the plugs in and take the plugs out of the racecar with a 13/16" open end wrench. Its a pain to mess with sockets.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
            Does anybody here have this combo with the 1990 Lincoln exhaust manifolds on a GT40p?
            If so how do you change the #5 spark plug?
            I can only get a 1/2" short socket on the plug and with no way to turn it since the plug sticks thru the socket there is still no way to get that one off.

I may have to remove the manifold to get it off. If so do you think I can reuse the gasket since it has not been cranked yet and I just torqued them down yesterday?
            Is this the only way to remove the plug?

One more thing, about the #6 plug. Should I clearance the manifold by the #6 plug by putting a dent in it. I got the old plug out but it looks like it needs more room for the wire. Comments?

Thanks guys
            I haven't tried to remove my spark plugs. To be honest. Lol. I'd try a spark plug socket with a swivle on the end. The spark plug wrench is a 5/8" not a 1/2" anyway.
            If you can't get it that way, I guess you'd have to use a wrench.
            The person who would be the one to most likely know would 88grandmarq, since he was the one who told me that they would work with my heads to begin with.
            As for the #6 dilema, you need a 90 degree boot on that spark plug wire. I'm pretty sure I said that in your other thread. Also, you're gonna need one on the #5 cylinder. And heat insulators for #5,6, and 7.

Comment

Do they make stubby 'header plugs' that would fit?
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                Do they make stubby 'header plugs' that would fit?
                This is a good question, I'm sure they do. And possibly if there are it would work maybe with the stock spark plug boots?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  I haven't tried to remove my spark plugs. To be honest. Lol. I'd try a spark plug socket with a swivle on the end. The spark plug wrench is a 5/8" not a 1/2" anyway.
                  If you can't get it that way, I guess you'd have to use a wrench.
                  The person who would be the one to most likely know would 88grandmarq, since he was the one who told me that they would work with my heads to begin with.
                  As for the #6 dilema, you need a 90 degree boot on that spark plug wire. I'm pretty sure I said that in your other thread. Also, you're gonna need one on the #5 cylinder. And heat insulators for #5,6, and 7.
                  hopefully I can answer all replies in one shot.
                  First it is a 5/8" socket I meant 1/2" drive. The 3/8" was too small to fit the plug into. And I just tried it to see if I could even get a socket on there.
                  There is no way at all that a spark plug socket will go on there, the plug is slightly behind the manifold.
                  A wrench will not work either because the plug is recessed into the head so only a socket will get to it.

I do plan on 90° boots on those three at a minimum. it just looks like the plug will hit the manifold. But I guess I can address that when I get the plugs on there. And yes you did address it in my other thread, as that is what I plan to do but I am curious if I need to add a dent to it, thanks for the info in case I didn't thank you earlier.

I like the idea of a shorter plug, that would solve half my problems. I still need to get the old plug out. LOL
                  I feel like a dumbass for not swapping the plugs before I installed the manifold but I honestly didn't want to accidently break a new plug monkey around with the engine. Also I did think the manifold would be in the way that much.

Hopefully 88grandmarq will chime in soon. If not I will send a PM later if he doesn't see this thread. Thanks guys.

-Still wanting suggestions if you have them.
                  -Do you think it will be possible to reuse the manifold gasket since the engine hasn't been started and heated yet. My thought is yes.
                  -Anybody know of a shortie plug? Right now I am going to use the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs with 4 ground electrodes.

Thanks for you guys' help.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                    This is a good question, I'm sure they do. And possibly if there are it would work maybe with the stock spark plug boots?
                    I don't believe you could use a straight plug. At best you would have to use a 45° boot or still a 90° boot

Comment

Originally posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
                      hopefully I can answer all replies in one shot.
                      First it is a 5/8" socket I meant 1/2" drive. The 3/8" was too small to fit the plug into. And I just tried it to see if I could even get a socket on there.
                      There is no way at all that a spark plug socket will go on there, the plug is slightly behind the manifold.
                      A wrench will not work either because the plug is recessed into the head so only a socket will get to it.

I do plan on 90° boots on those three at a minimum. it just looks like the plug will hit the manifold. But I guess I can address that when I get the plugs on there. And yes you did address it in my other thread, as that is what I plan to do but I am curious if I need to add a dent to it, thanks for the info in case I didn't thank you earlier.

I like the idea of a shorter plug, that would solve half my problems. I still need to get the old plug out. LOL
                      I feel like a dumbass for not swapping the plugs before I installed the manifold but I honestly didn't want to accidently break a new plug monkey around with the engine. Also I did think the manifold would be in the way that much.

Hopefully 88grandmarq will chime in soon. If not I will send a PM later if he doesn't see this thread. Thanks guys.

-Still wanting suggestions if you have them.
                      -Do you think it will be possible to reuse the manifold gasket since the engine hasn't been started and heated yet. My thought is yes.
                      -Anybody know of a shortie plug? Right now I am going to use the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs with 4 ground electrodes.

Thanks for you guys' help.
                      platnum 4s are useless and a big waste of money, reccomended plugs are plane ol autolites or autolite iridium. accell does make a header plug and it is shorter.i wouldnt reccomend reusing a gasket, you can try it, but i would make sure you have a another just to be on the safe side. also check this article.http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...40p-heads.html

and here too http://www.darkmesa.com/motor-city/4...40p-heads.html
                      Last edited by zoomie; 11-04-2010, 09:20 AM. Reason: added more info with pics
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Also, be sure that you are running the plugs that are used for that engine. Not the Towncar. Stock Ford plugs for that engine are platinum plugs, Autolite has an alternative in a copper style, which is much cheaper.
                        I never said anything about a straight boot. I said stock style, which is the 115 or something.

Comment

Accell shorty plug part no - P526S
                          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Zoomie, Killer good information. I believe a cut socket just may work. The room from behind the header pipe and the plug tip is not as much on the lincoln logs as it is on the BBK shorties but I just may be able to get that cut socket to work.
                            Awesome tip, thanks.

The plugs I am using are recommended for the Explorer engine for sure. It recommend the 4 electrode Iridium tips but they are hella expensive so I went with the platinum ones.
                            Why do you say they are no good?

What are your opinions on the shortie plugs? better or worse and why?

Vicky, sorry I thought you meant straight boots. No idea why I had that in my head.

Comment

Somebody asked for a pic. I dodn't have a good one close up but here is one you can't see the plug but it is below the long bolt just behind the tube. I will look for a better pic.
                              Of course this is when it was on the stand.

You can kinda see where the plugs are located here:

Comment

Working...
                              X