Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 MGM mudflaps question

Hi,
    I know these things are far out of fashion, but I hate the stone chips more than a maybe-granny driver look.
    I need recommendations for a source for good quality mudflaps for my 2003 MGM.
    Were they ever available from Ford as original parts? Then, a part no. would be very helpful for me.

Thanks.

JoJo

I agree -- they look retarded, but you know, they paid for themselves the very first time, a few months later, when I unknowingly drove through some wet cement some idiot construction worker in the final stages of tertiary brain syhilis, left a river of wet cement and water across the roadm that you could not see or avoid in time, and I drove through it, at speed.

That cement would have dried really fast and would have been sheer hell to get off the paint if the mud flaps had not been on the car at the time.

With the mud flaps the paint was saved and al I had to do was clean it off the inside of the mud flaps, when at the end of the day I discovered it. It cleaned off the 4rubber a LOT easier than trying to get it off the paint.

Actually I do clean the inside of the mud flaps when I wash the car so they do look nice.
    Do take care when parking, bercvause the inside right rear mudflap can get scraped off when you are backing up to parallel park, (because they are screwed onto the plasticv rear bumper, not anything metal, and replacements are only sold in pairs.

I highly recommend this modification.

Glad to see one of these cars in Germany, (my father's family came from the Alsace-Lorraine area - near the Rheinland, (Rhine river) where they once had wine vineyards about a hundred years ago, came to USA in about 1907 I think). How do the long German numberplates fit and look on the car; do you have some pictures?

They are universal fit, so you can install them with the white "GRAND MARQUIS" lettering showing to the rear, (as I did) or not.

They are sold with mounting hardware included, in pairs only, at your Ford/ (or) Lincoln Mercury dealer. (Parts department in Europe, or one of them here in USA, where they could be shipped --one or us could maybe help you - by buying them and shipping them to you, if you pay, they do not weigh that much, and Fed Ex could ship to you)

the part number is: (front and/or rear F8MZ*16A550*AA "Kit:Mudflap"

List: $37.98

Net: (dealer cost) $23.74
    www.xm.com currency converter

This is the only picture I have with them on:

I had them on my Norsea blue '09 Grand Marquis that I traded in on the toreador red one. This was taken in May 2010 in the southern California high desert near Lancaster California a couple of weeks before I traded this car in on the toreador red one.

(Though they are hard to see in the picture)

Buy two sets from your dealer now !!
    Last edited by EHJ710; 11-09-2010, 04:13 AM.
    sigpic2009 Grand Marquis LS "Ultimate Edition" Toreador Red Metallic, 40% tint, CVPI type dual exhaust, Marauder front and rear sways, 29k (traded in, to dealer, 4/3/11)

1987 Colony Park LS. 190k, (given to friend/mechanic 2/24/12)

2011 Subaru Outback, 19k; 1991 Mercedes 560SEC AMG, 186k; 1995 Mercedes E420, 145k

Comment

MGM Mudflaps

Hi EHJ 710,

Thanks for the very detailed information. You exactly describe the situation where the flaps are needed most.
      Here in Germany they spill some liquid black tar on the road before putting the final pavement onto the road repair spot. That black stuff is sticky to painted surfaces more than glue. Zippo lighter fluid is a good tar remover, but that is not that good for the paint if you have to do it more often.

Congrats to your nice car(s). I always wanted a post-2003 in Northsea Blue, but I was lucky enough to find a fresh imported top-condition/low mileage 2003 MGM here in Germany and had to get friend with the vibrant white. The torreador red also looks very nice, my 1995 Honda SevenFifty bike (you call it Nighthawk over there) has nearly the same colour.

German license plates are much to long to fit on US cars with the small gap on the trunk, you are right. You have to get a special approval from the authorities (nightmare...) to be allowed to have a small rear license plate in approximate US-size. This size is normally reserved for farmers tractors.
      Ok, I got a small one in the rear ( and the MGM does definitely not look like a tractor ;-)

Just gave my local Ford dealer a buzz, seems he is not able (or not willing)
      to get the mudflaps for me. Maybe the value is too small for him to get his a** up, who knows?
      May I take up your offer to help me with purchase of 2 pairs of them in the US?
      Please send me a PM for the payment processing.

Thanks in advance

JoJo

Comment

I did a little part number research.
        The mudflaps will directly fit 2005-2010. I'm sure they will fit your 2003.
        But, yeah, with the mounting hardware, they will fit. (Or you can make them fit )
        Good luck!!

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Mudflaps are a must for nice vehicles. No point in letting your investment get chipped with unnecessary rocks.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mgmgermany View Post
            Hi EHJ 710,

< snip >
            Just gave my local Ford dealer a buzz, seems he is not able (or not willing)
            to get the mudflaps for me. Maybe the value is too small for him to get his a** up, who knows?
            May I take up your offer to help me with purchase of 2 pairs of them in the US?
            Please send me a PM for the payment processing.

Thanks in advance

JoJo

Splash Guards, Flat, Front or Rear
            Part Number: F8MZ-16A550-AA

I will be happy to do this for you. They wil have to be ordered from the nearest dealer (where I bought the Norsea blue one I do not have now) which is 30 miles from here,

http://www.auburnflm.com/

and I will send them to you by Fed Ex after I get them.

PM me with your address, payment ideas, etc.
            sigpic2009 Grand Marquis LS "Ultimate Edition" Toreador Red Metallic, 40% tint, CVPI type dual exhaust, Marauder front and rear sways, 29k (traded in, to dealer, 4/3/11)

1987 Colony Park LS. 190k, (given to friend/mechanic 2/24/12)

2011 Subaru Outback, 19k; 1991 Mercedes 560SEC AMG, 186k; 1995 Mercedes E420, 145k

Comment

Working...
            X