aero body swapped onto a '98+ frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aero body swapped onto a '98+ frame

What would the key issues be if this was attempted?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

I would think the clearance in the rear area/gas tank because of the revised suspension.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Honestly, i think your just better off selling the car. Its going to be a big hassle to pull a whole body off and then put on another one and cost a lot more then the car is worth or you'll get out of it. Its going to take serious work
      79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by Leafsrule16 View Post
        Honestly, i think your just better off selling the car. Its going to be a big hassle to pull a whole body off and then put on another one and cost a lot more then the car is worth or you'll get out of it. Its going to take serious work
        yeah very true, but just remember his car is very rare, not very many out there of Touring Sedan. He is trying to find a nice solid frames to replace it for his CV TS.
        1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
        1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
        1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

isn't the panther frame basically 2x4 steel beams down the sides?

if that's all that rotted out... cut the welds... remove the beams... replace... weld. done.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
            isn't the panther frame basically 2x4 steel beams down the sides?

if that's all that rotted out... cut the welds... remove the beams... replace... weld. done.
            Only part... the sections that rust are in a formed section.

It's really not that hard to pull a body off.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Swap it Aero-for-aero, bolt up no hassle (other than the whole body swap). Why do you want whale?
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'm just throwing ideas around...

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                Swap it Aero-for-aero, bolt up no hassle (other than the whole body swap). Why do you want whale?
                Just a thought that popped up. If I can find a good, reasonably priced, solid aero (92-94 ideally) I'll consider buying it then swapping my Touring Sedan stuff over. The 93-94 are the same style but have a different front end (modest grill) which can be swapped.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Leafsrule16 View Post
                  its a P75, so imho its worth it.
                  1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                  1994 MGM GS Montigua
                  2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                  2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

For the Whale frame, go to a wrecking yard with a measuring tape and see what the differences are between key areas. suspension, body mounts, frame widths etc. Also look for good aero frames.

Lifting the body is simple enough, use bottle jacks or an engine hoist to lift it, block it up, put the frames side by side and swap everything. Probably making things seem simpler then they really are though.
                    1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                    1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                    1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                    1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

This might be useful. If anyone would like to archive this info go ahead but what I have saved is much better quality so I could email the files I have to the proper person to be dealt with as necessary to post them in the best quality possible. These files as saved on my computer can be zoomed in ridiculously and everything is clear but I just can't get that quality on the internet for some reason. Let me know.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The only true difference would be in the back. I suspect the only possible interference might be between the bellcrank for the watts link and the fuel tank.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

By comparing the diagrams I provided above the entire length of the frame is about 29mm longer for a 1998 than 1994. There are a bunch of differences so if you are going to do it I would suggest a rolling frame because the aero suspension is not going to work on a whale frame. Basically you would need to put your body on a whale frame that already has everything. and you still might have some fitment issues because the rear body mounts are a little further back it appears. The rear suspension is totally different and the front suspension is different so your not going to get away with a bare frame and swapping all your suspension and stuff over. the 2003+ frames are really different still.

I would try to find an aero frame if I were you because if you didn't anything you needed for your suspension would be a different year than your car.

Comment

The front suspension isn't that different. You can put the 98+ front stuff on an aero without much bother. the only real difference is how the UCA mounts, it uses frame brackets vs the pivot shaft on older models. the rear suspension is the really big change. Hell, I have 98+ front suspension on my 86, and I made that happen using aero upper arms.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I can agree with that. Still think it is more work than it's worth. What are you getting from a 1998 frame?

Comment

Working...
                              X