interference from the motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interference from the motor?

Hey guys...the radio in my 78 LTD is on the fritz. Lots of weird popping and hissing noises start to happen after i drive about 2 miles...sometimes its longer like 5 miles. But its getting annoying. I thought it was the ford racing spark plug wires I put on there...but while driving I can shift to neutral, shut it off...and the radio is fine. Start it back up and its fine. Put it back in drive and continue along maybe 1/8th of a mile and than it starts making the hissing and popping noises again. Seams to happen to the lower end of the spectrum (like 96.1) more often than it effects the higher end (100.7 and such). AM is not affected at all.

weird huh?

if you shut off the engine and keep the radio on after this starts, does it keep the noise? If not, it may be the capacitor for the coil/voltage regulator (not sure where they put it on older models... and even if they did).

if you car does have this capacitor (one wire in and case grounded), make sure the bolt holding it down is tight. Otherwise you may need to replace it.

that said... usually when that thing goes, you get noise on the speakers period, no matter what band/frequency you're on. My main thought is that there is something else emitting some low FM RF noise or the radio itself is beginning to get worn out. There may also be some heat sinks in the radio that could use some re-greasing/tightening up. It really makes me think it's a heat related issue inside the radio.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

replace radio
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

does the radio have a good ground? Is the antenna connection at both the radio and where it mounts good? How are the plug wires? How are the battery connections and the ground connections ?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry its been a while since i could get back to yall.

I havent touched the radio since I got the car. So I doubt anythings loose under the dash.

The plug wires are high performance wires.

Battery connections are brand new.

It was cooler today and i noticed it lasted longer than usual. Making me think its the capacitor that slymer mentioned. I dont think it has anything to do with the radio itself though cause we had the heat blazing on the way to town this morning...and it was fine for about 9 miles or so.

I came home with it buzzing today, shut the motor off and it cleared right up.

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
          replace radio
          Lol. Not an option. I have the only one like it in the entire county that I know of. The only car that comes CLOSE to it in the junkyards around here is a 77 lincoln.

IF and I do mean IF. I need a new radio. I plan to mount it under the front seat out of sight and use a remote to control everything. Thus keeping with the mostly stock appearance.

Comment

So I was washing it yesterday. Motor off...radio on. And that buzzing popping happened again. I have lost all FM.

Comment

Remove the antenna and clean its mounting points. My Chevy truck used to do this when it rained, and cleaning the antenna mount fixed it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ill try that...but I dont think its fully water related.

Comment

Replace cap. Easy and cheap. Capacitors are also temperature sensitive.
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                  93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                  Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                  Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                  95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                  X