grand marquis versus colony park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grand marquis versus colony park?

Alright, someone just posted a 1989 grand marquis wagon, whole and functional I presume (but no details) for sale under craigslist auto parts.
    I own a 1990 colony park and need 2 pieces of trim right now: and I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying the whole car and pulling out lots and lots of parts, and giving the rest to the junkard for $100.

I called and left a message last night, and will call again soon to get the scoop: my suspicion is that it's under car parts, because it's higher mileage and needs more work than anyone but a fanatic would put into it

First I'm wondering, did the grand marquis have aluminum wheels like the colony park does? If so, I'll snag those.
    I DO need 2 pieces of trim that are dented up, definitely snag those.

There are many parts that I'm too much of a perfectionist to get... certain motors simply start failing at 100k, 150k, 200k miles, and I don't want to put even higher-mileage replacement parts in only to have to replace them again in short order.

First question is: what things that AREN'T body work, tend to last forever barring accident or bad luck? Should I save the brake booster, some wiring harnesses...? I'm thinking about all the electric parts that I've replaced on my 115,000-mile car, and don't really want to take the time to pull them out of a car with even more miles if I'm just going to find myself replacing them AGAIN a half year later because they were already on the way out

And second question: which body parts are hard to find? Just need two pieces of trim today: but should I take all of the chrome and box it up for the future? And, the taillight and turn signal covers. Those, I can store. If I start saving the doors themselves storage will be trickier. The entire car... I don't have a blightable backyard for that, sadly.
    Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 11-21-2010, 03:58 PM.

Alright: called the guy, here's the story:

the wheels are alloys and the tires are supposed to have very good tread left.
    The transmission was supposed to have been rebuilt -6000 miles ago
    The radiator and the alternator were replaced -10000 miles ago

The engine might not run at all-- certainly not well, if it does.

Trim is good, he says. I just need my 2 pieces right now anyway, so if one bit is dented, alright, I can live with that.

The car is at 270,000 miles, so I'm thinking for the rest of it, just assume a loss, unless he has the paperwork showing another new motor here or there

Save window regulators, window glass..? Drums, brake calipers..? *probably* not is my sense, but I'll take your advise!

How hard is it to remove the transmission, will I absolutely need a lift...?

AND... what the hech to do with the gutted shell, no trim, no tranny, no wheels, maybe no glass..? Is it going to be cheap to get someone to take it to the scrapyard?
    Crazy rays will pay $300 for any complete car: minus wheels and a transmission is not complete. But maybe it's worth enough for someone with a trailer, to take it for free?
    What has been your experience?

-Bernard

Comment

shit where are you located you said crazy rays so eaither balitmore area or dc should not be to hard to pull the trans out I can help if you would like

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

the colony park wagon has lots of wagon specific stuff. also shoud have found out if it was a towing package car. the lights, tailgate, moldings and front end brace stuff is worth something. also, if its got the rear deflector that attatches to the roof rack is a hot item.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

If it was a tow package car be sure to grab the radiator air deflector, tranny and power steering cooler and lines as some people may be interested in them. If it has under chassis braces grab those as well as the fender braces all wagons have. I am sure you can make a few dollars off of all that I mentioned as those are all things I have purchased.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Tailgate hinge and ribber.

Donald McCaig
            1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

Rear light housings. Can't find the fuckers anywhere and I'm sure I'm going to get rear-ended one of these days. Morons in this town can't drive.

All the trim you can get your hands on. All the wood shit is hard to find.
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

where are you located?
                if the frame is decent we will take the car......mrltd's frame isnt in the best of shape, and i like to keep wagon parts around to keep yucatech's cruiser running

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                  where are you located?
                  if the frame is decent we will take the car......mrltd's frame isnt in the best of shape, and i like to keep wagon parts around to keep yucatech's cruiser running

X2... I am interested in the whole thing.... I need a lot of parts.

holy crap that thing looks GOOD!
                  http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/2077374869.html
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

500? shit that thing is pretty nice looking.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes. Yes it does. Don't junk it, that would be very sad.
                      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                      X