crossing digital with an analog dash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crossing digital with an analog dash?

since my 80 MK VI has a analog dash, that i think i will stick too, most of the other continetals i see have digital dashes, my question is can i jus throw in a digital one or do i beed mods, if so, what mods? was never clear on this subject, thnx

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

If you find out before I do, please share the info. I'm probably going to do this with my car but I have to get my hands on the guts first. It looks like the most difficult part is going to be the message center wiring. The rest should be fairly simple.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Re: crossing digital with an analog dash?

Originally posted by marquisman
      since my 80 MK VI has a analog dash, that i think i will stick too, most of the other continetals i see have digital dashes, my question is can i jus throw in a digital one or do i beed mods, if so, what mods? was never clear on this subject, thnx
      My car comes with digital dash. My advise to you...please do not change from analog dash to digital dash. Too much work. Stay with analog dash in your car.

Well, Im lucky my car have digital dash.

Jason
      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
      1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

it can be done, but you need a lot more parts than the digital cluster. Like gadget said, you'll need all the wiring and buttons for the message center, and Im sure a few things that tap into the rest of the cars wiring. Your only hope is if the digital and non digital car used the same main harnesses, or you might wind up needing a LOT of extra wiring.

If I had a towncar, I would just open up your analouge cluster, remove only the speedo unit, and swap that with the digital.
        It might need its own wiring harness but i was able to wire and run the digi speedo portion by itself.
        Id be glad to experement with this if you get me a cluster to use as a core.

heres a link to my thread on the project

http://www.grandmarq.net/forum/viewt...20a7438448e1b8

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If it's anything like the differences between the Analog and Digital in the T-birds/Cougars it's probably not worth it. In addition to the cluster itself, you'd need different sending units (including fuel tank float - in the T-birds, there was even a different tank). Not to mention the wiring is usually different. On the T-birds they used different types of plugs at the back and re-pinning was neccessary.

Comment

Working...
          X