Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Fan Questions

1995 GM with the 4.6 and both fans ...

What is the normal operating procedure for the clutch fan? I have been looking here and other forums for a post I know I once read about this ... can't find it now.

I have only recently started driving this car, so I am not entirely familiar with what is normal with it, but here is the story.

For the month and a half or so that I have been driving it I have noticed no roaring, whooshing, or rushes of air when I would start the thing. Never any problem with overheating, but then I have never been stuck in traffic for more than 5 minutes or so.

So, a couple weeks ago, as I am going to my friendly local mechanic, I start the thing up and ... whoosh, roaring. It calmed itself after a few seconds and I drove on to the shop.

You know things are not good when the mechanic calls you out to the garage bay!

He tells me that the clutch is in need of replacement, and, indeed, as the the car is sitting there idling, the fan is barely turning. He reaches in and holds the blades, great squealing noises.

I let him replace it.

Ever since, I get the roaring and whooshing on startup and for some time after. Usually after I have traveled a couple blocks, it calms down.

So, is this the standard operating mode for the fan?

Was my clutch really dying and the electric fan had been keeping the car cool enough not to trigger any idiot lights or get hot enough to move the digital "temperature display"?

Enough rambling for now.

Thanks!
    Jim
    2000 Grand Marquis
    1995 Grand Marquis
    1990 Lincoln Continental (50th Anniversary)
    1989 Buick Park Avenue
    1989 Grand Marquis

Yes, it is normal for a clutch fan to be enuaged during cold starts, once it warms to a moderate temp it will opperate as normal. Go all electric if you can, no more anoying noise and never worry about traffic temps.

Comment

It has been my experience that after-market fan clutches make more noise than factory units.

My company van had it's fan clutch give up the ghost at 130k. It locked up and kept the fan turning at engine speed at all times. The replacement clutch was nearly as bad, but it was working properly.

My brother's '97 GM locked up as well, same as my work truck. (Very noisey, not to mention a serious drag on the engine at highway speed) I replaced it with a Ford part and it's as quiet as the original part. So I guess it's all in the quality of the replacement you use.

Ray
      Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
      Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

You don't even need the mechanical fan really. I took mine off and anges as well and havent had a problem. "Knocks on wood" They got rid of them on the 98+ cause they realized it wasn't needed. If it seems to be getting warm turn on your a/c to kick the fan on. Mine comes on and keeps it in the normal range.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

ditch the mechanical fan. gain about .001hp and loose some weight between the fan, clutch, and shroud
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

If you lose the mechanical fan I would highly recommend either installing an aftermarket fan controller, or have the computer flashed to start the fan at a lower temperature.

The factory settings didn't intend for the fan to be the only source of engine cooling. Ford used the electric fan to make up for the fact that R134a doesn't work as well as R12 freon. The electric fan's only real job is to increases air flow through the condensor at idle. It only comes on when the A/C is on or if the engine temperature rises above 220-230deg.
            Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
            Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

if you just remove the fan, you wont gain anything other than minus 5 pounds, and a hotter running engine. I would put a new one on it, cheaper and easier than converting the other fan, programming, so on.

Comment

When mine went bad, it would just kinda free-wheel when idling. The fan turned at maybe a few revolutions every 5 seconds. I could hold the fan still with my hand (prob not a good idea!) when it was doing this. Sometimes it would kick in at random and roar like a bastard when driving it, even in cooler weather. I replaced it with an OEM Ford clutch and now it spins at a decent speed when idling and doesn't kick in at random anymore. It does roar for about 5- 10 seconds right after starting it sometimes. Nothing unusual for a fan clutch.
                1995 Grand Marquis LS, digi dash, loaded
                124,000 miles

Mods:99 PI steering gear, harsh rear IAS shocks, front KYB gas adjusts, HPP rims with Bridgestone Potenza G009's, Walker dual exhaust with direct fit Magnaflow cats

Comment

My fan clutch is very good on my car. I nearly removed a finger when my hand came in contact with it. Thats quite probably the only time I've ever wished that I had a bad part on my car. The woosh off idle is normal. The Lincoln doesn't do it too much, but my S10 makes a horrible amount of noise when it sits at idle then I take off. Always shuts up after a few seconds tho. Sometime I'll get that electric fan installed and all will be well.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I know it robs some power but I like the way it sounds when it roars. :coolshades:
                    124,000 miles

Mods:99 PI steering gear, harsh rear IAS shocks, front KYB gas adjusts, HPP rims with Bridgestone Potenza G009's, Walker dual exhaust with direct fit Magnaflow cats

Comment

What sound, like a huge industrial electric fan? Now if you could make is whine like a supercharger, you got something.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyiroc
                        What sound, like a huge industrial electric fan? Now if you could make is whine like a supercharger, you got something.
                        Nah, not electric. Mechanical fan roar is unique. I just like it for some reason.
                        I don't want to hear it all the time, though. At least the 4.6 sounds good all on its own.

On my late POS 99 Dakota V-6, when the fan clutch went bad, I bought a heavy duty Hayden fan clutch. It was fully engaged almost all the time. I liked it though because it covered up the harsh, crappy sounding 3.9 V-6 noise....lol....Made it sound more V-8 like. That truck was such a piece of shit.
                        124,000 miles

Comment

Working...
                        X