fuel pump upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel pump upgrade?

alright i'm approaching the 300hp mark with my motor i just built and its thirstier than the fuel pump can supply. I am running 19lb 4 jet injectors which is close to thier limit i understand.

I am just wondering what fuel pump for what vehicle application will work in my merc as i will probably swap the pump on my christmas break. And do i need any other parts or gaskets other than just the pump?
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

A 255 lph Walbro, etc should work. Technically, a 155 lph will work, bu I believe thats what you have?

You can probably easily modify it to work with your stock pick up.

It takes .4-.5 lb of fuel per hour per horsepower to feed a naturally aspirated engine. Some people use .55, conservatively.

300*.55 = 165lb/hr.

A gallon of gas = 6.25 lb.

165 lb/hr = 26.4 gallons/ hr.

1 gallon = 3.78 litres

26.4 gallons/ hr= 99.79 L/hr.

What is the stock pump? I thought they were 155 L/hr.

This is just a method for rough figuring.

Edit: My research shows the factory pumps only have an 88-95 lph free flow rate. That means you are on the ragged edge, my friend. A 155 should do you fine, a 255 would be if you have bigger plans down the road.
    Last edited by P72Ford; 12-05-2010, 10:14 PM.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

stock pump is actually something like 85 lph. Its kind of weenie. I have a 155 lph Walbro for a Mustang in my car. its a Summit pump, but inside the box the pump said Walbro for 10 bucks less than one in a Walbro box. You'll need a bit of high pressure fuel hose. The stock pump is longer, so the hose from the pump to the plate ends up being short. You also need a hose clamp to fix the smaller pump to the bracket. The stock pumps are really fat and sit inside this rubber condom thing. The Mustang pumps are smaller diameter and need a clamp put around them to hold the pump to the hanger./
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah i just have the stock pump which is around 85lph i think also. ok i might go with a 155lph summit pump, i have heard thier a good setup.

So just a pump for a foxbody mustang application then?
        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Since you have a 90-91 a mustang pump is a direct replacement. Just take the old one out and put the new one in. The 79-89 panthers use a larger (external measurments) fuel pump than the 90-91 so on the 79-89 you need something to take up the space.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

thats badass thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              stock pump is actually something like 85 lph. Its kind of weenie. I have a 155 lph Walbro for a Mustang in my car. its a Summit pump, but inside the box the pump said Walbro for 10 bucks less than one in a Walbro box. You'll need a bit of high pressure fuel hose. The stock pump is longer, so the hose from the pump to the plate ends up being short. You also need a hose clamp to fix the smaller pump to the bracket. The stock pumps are really fat and sit inside this rubber condom thing. The Mustang pumps are smaller diameter and need a clamp put around them to hold the pump to the hanger./
              The stock replacement pump that I got for my car, was rated at like 177lph. No need for messing with ancient rubber or anything.

Comment

Working...
              X