brake light came on while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake light came on while driving

Took the 99 p71 on it's first long journey...200 miles round trip to the desert and back to pick up some interior parts from a wrecked p71....before that I'd only driven it may be 20 miles lol.

anyhow on the way up both the check engine light and brake light popped on. I haven't been able to pull codes yet, however this post refers to the brake light.

Any clues what would set this light off? I know there is a seperate ABS light, so am I correct in assuming that my problem does NOT relate to the abs system?

Any ideas here?
    -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
    -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
    -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

Either the parking brake is slightly on, or your low on brake fluid.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

yea, lol...my friend was driving...wouldn't be surprised about the parking brake....I just did the rear brakes which should have pushed fluid back into the resevoir unless I have a leak...i'm gonna run out and check her

Comment

damn do I feel stupid...the parking brake was partially depressed...my friend must have done it while driving...

that kinda sucks... Ijust did the rear brakes...hope he didn't jack them up...we put probably 60 miles on it like that. Oh well.

Comment

the parking brake shoes are seperate from the service brakes. They live inside the rotor as a tiny set of drum brakes. Best hope he didn't smoke them because you have to remove the axles to change the shoes. As long as the pedal wasn't pushed down far enough to actually start getting some resistance on it, its probably fine.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

wow, isn't that a trip...never heard of that. It was pushed down 1/4 of the way...not a lot. I have hope that it's probably ok

Comment

then they probably weren't engaged at all yet. typically my parking brakes don't engage until at least half way down or so. of course I've never adjusted mine for slack either.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X