X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building a bottom end for nitrous

what needs doin?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

At the very least forged pistons.

It really depends on how much you are using.

By the way. Its nitrous oxide, not nos. I hate when folks refer to it as such.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

If you're not getting nutty, a bone stock HO bottom end will do you fine. They have forged pistons already, and the rest of it is capable of handling more power than the block is.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post

By the way. Its nitrous oxide, not nos. I hate when folks refer to it as such.
        This...bigtime.

:pw:
        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

i fixed the title. that annoys the shit out of me.

How big of a shot are you looking at? under 125, and your stock motor will be fine as long as its in good shape, just need to make sure your fuel system is up to the task. Now if your wanting to do a dedicated nitrous motor running a 200+ shot it's a different story
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Like the others said. It depends on the size of the shot you plan on using.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
            Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
            Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
            NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

yo noz is so sick yo! lol what do you plan on running juice in?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'd go talk to your local machine shop first. How much nitrous do you plan on spraying?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                  i fixed the title. that annoys the shit out of me.

How big of a shot are you looking at? under 125, and your stock motor will be fine as long as its in good shape, just need to make sure your fuel system is up to the task. Now if your wanting to do a dedicated nitrous motor running a 200+ shot it's a different story

thanks! it's definitely going to be under 125, I just want a little extra "something something" under a big red button when I want to go a bit quicker. Don't want to do it to a motor that will go pfffftttt after 4000 revs though, so I'm thinking my camshaft selection and heads will help the most there. I'm thinking my bottom end with GT40 intake and maybe heads - if they'll flow as much as I want on the top

will a lopo bottom end take it just fine? did you do anything to yours, smokestack?
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I've sprayed 100 at a bone stock lopo converted to carb. The bottom end held up perfectly fine. BUT lol the stock timing gears in a lopo are composite junk, kinda like plastic. Anyway the sudden gain from the n2o ate up the timing gear very quickly which then clogged the oil pump and starved the bearings ultumately killing the bearings. Moral of the long story if your gonna spray a lopo put a new (good) timing set in it, and as with any n2o setup keep the tune safe.

Now on a stock H.O. Bottom end I have seen up to 175 shot sprayed every weekend for a long time without damage. I personally have sprayed 125 on a stock bolt on motor put about ten 10lb bottle through it before I got rid of the car. That equals out to about 100 1/4 mile passes. No problems at all. Keep the tune safe and have lots of fun lol.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

im dropping in a HO motor next year, hmm the more i hear about nitrous, the more im thinking of doing it fun fun!
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

well yeah if I was that far into the motor to replace the cam etc I'd have a better timing set on it.

I honestly think I'd be happy with the results that smokestacklightning is getting with his. The cheapest route would be to go with OEM xploder motor.

the goal is to keep it completely functional as a drivers/cruisers car but have a little extra oomph when I want it.

random thoughts; nothing solid yet;

-stock bottom end, upgraded timing set/water pump and replace all gaskets (I'd like to use the stock bottom end because it keeps this on the cheap...if I found a complete low mile explorer engine I'd buy it)
                        -GT40 intakes and heads, new springs and 1.7 roller rockers
                        -cobra/thunderbird ho cam
                        -mk vii ecu (not the tweecable one unfortunately, but I can always get one) and bigger injectors of course
                        -75 or 100 shot
                        -rebuilt or new trans with a better converter and 3.77 rear

it seems like it would be fun to drive
                        perhaps a mass air conversion if it calls for it.
                        sigpic

Comment

The lopos are the only ones with the junk timing set IIRC. So a H.O. or exploder would not ''need'' a upgraded timing set. But if your refreshing the the gaskets and have it apart might as well throw a new one in there.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                          Big plans

Comment

Not all lopo's had the junk set. I've seen 351's from the 70's with them too.
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS
                            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Sorry, I'm about to, but I gotta ask. How much power does a HO bottom end make with GT40 heads and intake? Or basically, how much power did the later Explorers make?

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X