Factory Natural Gas Crown Vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory Natural Gas Crown Vic

Fairly neat, didn't know they offered such a thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item415559c109

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

My Dad had a '98 for parts.

The tanks were incredibly heavy, and the performance was dismal.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

If it costs $20 to fill my grill tank, how much would it cost to fill that up?
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

They run forever! Propane burns very clean, no carbon buildup. Not as much power as a gas Crown though. They qualified for carpool lane stickers back when they were giving them out in CA a few years back.

Comment

I've heard of guys living out west doing the propane conversion but I've never seen anything stock like that.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Propane is not natural gas, propane has a fair amount more energy per unit than nat gas will, so I'd expect performance to be down. Propane should run nearly as well as gasoline though.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Onther thing to consider about these cars is that the tanks expire, and need to be replaced. On our '98 I want to say that the expiration was 2013. Something to think about if anyone is considering purchasing one of these cars.

At one time I remember hearing talk of using natural gas components for performance builds. Something about the heads having smaller chambers, or the use of different pistons. However, I think I remember a Ford parts guy saying otherwise.

Incidentally, I have a 14K mile 4.6 and 4R70W out of a natural gas car in the basement of one of our garages. We didn't feel the need to take it apart and see, though.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                Onther thing to consider about these cars is that the tanks expire, and need to be replaced. On our '98 I want to say that the expiration was 2013. Something to think about if anyone is considering purchasing one of these cars.

At one time I remember hearing talk of using natural gas components for performance builds. Something about the heads having smaller chambers, or the use of different pistons. However, I think I remember a Ford parts guy saying otherwise.

Incidentally, I have a 14K mile 4.6 and 4R70W out of a natural gas car in the basement of one of our garages. We didn't feel the need to take it apart and see, though.
                the tanks expire..but i think they might be able to be inspected and re-tagged. if not just because they expire doesnt mean theyre no good.

if you have propane filling stations in your area theyre great. a lot of municipalities run there whole fleet on propane.
                1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                1994 MGM GS Montigua
                2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Yeah alot of cabs, buses and even limos here in LA are propane. The limos because the hollywood clients like to perceive there choosing 'green' transportation and helping the enviroment blah blah. Sometimes the company's just slap on those green stickers without doing a conversion, my limo driver friend said ha ha.

Comment

Propane is down about 10% on power compared to gas.

I almost bought a propane/gasoline dual fuel crown vic. 500 grand and all it needed was the timing chain tensioners that were a weak point on the early whales.

Unfortunately, the idiot didn't take my advice to NOT drive it any more than necessary while the tensioners were bad, and the plastic coating on them blocked the oil pump and killed the engine while he was taking it to get e-tested.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

yea, the tanks just need to be tested/inspected. same as BBQ tanks

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I've seen a few dual fuel LP/Gas fleets (one Fire Chief vic and a few fleet trucks) but the CNG vics were a dime a dozen about 10 years ago (re: everywhere) here in DFW. All gov/law/fire vehicles.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Propane is not natural gas, propane has a fair amount more energy per unit than nat gas will, so I'd expect performance to be down. Propane should run nearly as well as gasoline though.
                          yeah i just meant it was the only thing i'd heard of besides gas or diesel motors in a car. converting sounds like more work than i'd care to do!
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
                          X